Fighting = Bad?

I reckon its both.. It is bad.. Morally, and socially.. But it is an instinct. Animals do it. At base, we are animals too.

So.. It is wrong.. But it cant be helped.

Meh!

Thats my 2 pence :)

Fighting is ok, it's when your opponent pulls a gun on you that it goes downhill.
Also fighting for the right reasons is important.

*Agrees with Olly.

Wouldn't go to martial arts if i thought fighting was completely wrong, sometimes theres no real other way to settle things.

Some people are so stupid you can only solve it with violence as it's all they understand. For example a wife beater needs a beating as punishment as that's all that would work.

Unfortunately these days people can't fight unless they have a few mates with them, it's pathetic.

It depends on what you mean by the word. For instance, a lot of people would 'fight' for something they believed in, and this does not necessarily mean inflicting physical injury on somebody. I assume that this is the sort of fighting you refer to however, and is to be avoided in my book, unless it is really called for. To plagiarise Geoff Thompson:

"Tread softly where you can, but don't forget to carry a big stick".

Im referring to nature's type of fighting. Lions don't debate about what they believe in, touch their food, envade their pride, your arse is punked.

I think people try and move away from fighting as it's a sign that your intellect is so low you can't think of another way around the problem encountered. Self defence is one thing but purposefully looking for a fight is another.

Our armed forces fight for what we as a country believe is morally right, but the emphasis will always be on the quickest, most effective method, not just fighting for fighting sake.

Not long ago some chavy 15 year old started on everyone I was playing footy with, I was closest so he started giving me most the grief, he got aggressive so he got knocked out and he deserved it, he later started on someone else I was playing with, again he was knocked out.

Fighting = bad?
Not in this case, anyone fancy trying to talk down a chav?

I agree with most points above..

Fighting is such a loose term its impossible to explain.. there are so many factors involved...

Fighting CAN be avoided, but somtimes a good beating is the best treatment for sombody..imo

Generally ... At the end of the day there are two sides to it.. psycologically speaking..

We never enter a fight to receive a beating..

' Mostly ' we resort to physical violence as a last resort..
..where all of our current means of 'getting this other person to understand our point of view' are not working.. and we improvise another way of explanation..

I feel we all enter a fight with the aim to inflict pain on the other person.. KNOWING that the accompanied physical pain received, is a by product WORTH taking.. for whatever reasons..

.. So we want the other person to FEEL pain.. physical pain.. to teach them a lesson, so to speak

2ndly

We enter a fight to achieve somthing.. to gain somthing, or to remove a threat..

.. gaining Kudos at school, gain respect, money, self defence... etc etc etc..

Its not showing of Lack of intelligance to get into a fight.. It shows a lack of control.. and there is only a certain amount of control we all have..

Example:

http://www.nothingtoxic.com/media/1194829253/Nutcase_Dentist_with_Road_Rage_Attacks_Everyone

Control over ourselves.. How much we can take..

From personal expeareance:

I used to fight a lot in highschool, and Primary School.. I was singled out for my Irish Accent and Terminology.. ( Ive lost the accent now..Grr! lol Ladis love it.. )

I was not a thug or anything in school, quite the opposite.. I was head Prefect and quite the teachers pet..

However I was forever being 'started on' from kids with a 'probem with me'..

..dont get me wrong.. I was never bullied in school, I had 2 older brothers above me in years and they never had to help me out.. I could always look after myself..

Ive not had a real fight since ..

Somtimes fighting is somthing we cannot avoid, suddenly its there upon us..

.. and where intelligence comes in, is what we do at that stage.. How we deal with it.. And how quickly we get to that decision..

One thing I will say from expearance though is that few things makes you feel more alive than when your fighting for your life.. ( Generally not your life obviously.. but at the heat of the moment.. its certainly how it feels.. )

Its a very Primal Act.. and somthing which is very educational about yourself..

Very well worked into kristian!

Coming from me it is exactly the same, unfortunatly all my life i have grown up in the situation i have needed to fight thats unfortunatly the area i "lived" in.

If you never, you were simply over run, and sooner or later, you will have been on th ereceiving end of things!

When i was growing up through school i actually only ever had 3 fights, all in self defense, all to people older than me, i just grew up getting beaten up by my older brother (an older brother dare i say is a fighter, and a bloody big bastid too!)

It was when i left school that general daily life in the area i live you need to, but again i have never gone looking for a fight, as i see it pointless, but when needs must, it is a reaction, its primal instinct.

Hell i have metal plates and screws in my hand from fighting, but again that was for defending myself and a friend.

I'll admit a few years ago i use to be quite a violent person, ive done the whole anger management etc, and at the time i thought was utter torture and pointless, when i look back i do see the sense in everything they said and did.

Going into a room and repeating "voilence solves nothing, aggression is a weakness" can get quiet tedious.

So in reality, it is there as a resource, but there is so many different ways to resolve situations, it does depend on how far the other person you are confronted by is willing to take things.

So erm yeah, if you meant he physical combat fight then it can be avoided, but..

"Nothing worth having in life was ever gained easily."

When valor preys on reason, It eats the sword it fights with

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

I managed to stay outta fighting til I was about 14, at this time someone punched my younger sister in the face, so obviously I went and bashed the #### outta him.

From then on fights just kept comin cos of the rep that came with what I did. Once you have a fight and win people see you as a target to improve their reputation (as long as they win anyway).

I don't fight anymore cos there is just no need for it but no matter what anyone says there is nothing as exciting as that first punch, better than any drug. So some people fight for that rush, nothing to do with instincts etc.

At 44 I can count on one and a bit hands the number of times I have had to physicaly fight another person, it's not that I'm a pacifist, as a matter of fact I can be an incredibly aggressive bloke with quite a bad temper, it's just I prefer to either not put myself into positions where conflict is inevitable or to use reason to disarm/diffuse the situation.

However there are situations where fighting is inevitable, in these cases I feel it's far better to strike hard and fast where it will incapacitate the other party then beat a hasty retreat, after all, he who turns and runs away lives to fight another day.

Fighting itself is self destructive, there is always someone bigger, stronger, harder, faster or more ruthless to take a pop at you if you have a rep for fighting, it's better to not get into the vicious circle than try to stay ahead in it.

Why do you ask Jinata ?

One thing that is annoying about people fighting is you are trying to have a good night out in town or down the pub and you allways get people spoiling it with violence, especially if it is aimed unprovoked towards you/your friends.

At 44 I can count on one and a bit hands the number of times I have had to physicaly fight another person, it's not that I'm a pacifist, as a matter of fact I can be an incredibly aggressive bloke with quite a bad temper, it's just I prefer to either not put myself into positions where conflict is inevitable or to use reason to disarm/diffuse the situation.

However there are situations where fighting is inevitable, in these cases I feel it's far better to strike hard and fast where it will incapacitate the other party then beat a hasty retreat, after all, he who turns and runs away lives to fight another day.

Fighting itself is self destructive, there is always someone bigger, stronger, harder, faster or more ruthless to take a pop at you if you have a rep for fighting, it's better to not get into the vicious circle than try to stay ahead in it.

Why do you ask Jinata ?

I was watching Lions fight on youtube, mostly against Hyenas. You just realize that it's all based on instinct, that these animals aren't binded by Law or Religion, they do what they think is best, no matter what the consequences. Just thinking that as a whole, us as human we're too civilized to act upon our primal instinct without being scolded by Law or Religion. We're just so... unnatural? I don't know..

I really hate violence, growing up on a council estate i kind of got into i fight everyday of the week for most of my youth with random groups of strangers who you had never seen in your life, the problem was I could be standing next to them the next day and wouldnt know it was them.

As a rule of thumb i never ventured into the other housing estates unless i knew the right people. Which meant id rather take a major detour to see a mate about his new SNES game, than face getting a kickin again.

So yeah unless my mates were with me i was so flamin paranoid especially as i had to walk home from school thru that way.

The thing is ive had very few real fights, its more like defending yourself from another group giving you a kicking just cause you could afford clean shoes.

Or later when your out drinking, because you pulled a bird he was to tactless to get.

I was watching Lions fight on youtube, mostly against Hyenas. You just realize that it's all based on instinct, that these animals aren't binded by Law or Religion, they do what they think is best, no matter what the consequences. Just thinking that as a whole, us as human we're too civilized to act upon our primal instinct without being scolded by Law or Religion. We're just so... unnatural? I don't know..

Animals do that to servive, to get food. We don't have to do that. Yes fighting is something that has to be done sometimes, like in a self defence situation. But people who go out looking for a fight with a random person are just wrong in the head imo.

One thing that is annoying about people fighting is you are trying to have a good night out in town or down the pub and you allways get people spoiling it with violence, especially if it is aimed unprovoked towards you/your friends.

people get violent when they drink,this is a known fact.dont go to places like this and expect anything less
its like going to a football match and expecting people not to swear at the ref

i lve and work in a pub,ive seen family's have brawls and be in the next day all happy like nothing happend.

im al laid back sort of person it would take alot for me to snap.i see this as a bad thing cos alot of people in my life have deserved a good punch but

Animals do that to servive, to get food. We don't have to do that. Yes fighting is something that has to be done sometimes, like in a self defence situation. But people who go out looking for a fight with a random person are just wrong in the head imo.

animals fight for no reason too.they also fight for women.no different to the local chav on a sat night

We should make love not war! The Bonobo ape (our closest animal relative) seems to have got it right. They never fight, apparantly

Jinata, I'm troubled by your arguement. What your saying kind of echoes the arguements given by people we bring in for organising football troubles. We live, like it or not in a civil society, you just cannot go around fighting people, just like you can't go around peeing on lamp posts or partnering up with your siblings.

Very occaisionally you might need to defend yourself against mindless idiots, in which yes you should hit hard fast and get the job over and done with, but purposefully looking for fighting is abhorant.

Quite honestly if thats how you think (you as in general not you as in you) then there is something wrong. Quicky said earlier that he had a problem when he was younger, thankfully he's got through that and I really like quicky but there are so many people that just ignore it and continue without help. Find something else to do or find some way of controlling your anger.

Trust me you don't want to let it get away from you, I'm quite soft but with the job we've had to control people who are beyond help. We once had to bounce a squaddie off of a taxi bonnet four times just to calm him down. It was all caught on CCTV and shown in court before anyone screams police brutality.

Why can't we all just be friends?

Your average person does just want to get on with people and be friends, and i think everyone on here is like that.
But you can't be friends with someone who's personal mission seems to be to shout at, attack, etc everyone he sees. There are people like that, who dislike you for absolutely anything.

While people might say there is a civillised solution, i have red hair and before contacts i wore glasses, obviously i got crap from anyone and everyone. I used to get random people (chavs usually) in the street shouting insults, or even attacking me so obviously i got into loads of fights, no one should have to put up with that.
It annoys me so much that nowadays people believe its wrong to make fun of someone for colour, nationality etc, but people with red hair are still fair game for all sorts of s### at school, sometimes at college and often just in the street, believe it or not we get discriminated on just as much if not more than some of these groups that are always in the news for it.

Just saying that, if somehow a meteor hit the earth, and our civilization was destroyed. We wouldn't know how to survive... :s

We've evolved away from basic primates quite heavily, our development away from fighting would be the last of our worries. We are who we are because we developed complicated language and the ability to manipulate materials, created tools to simplify our lives. The human existance as we know it is bizarre in comparison with most animal species. Drawing a parallel between us and hunting cats is an odd one. At best we could hope to do is to hunt small mammals in small groups or create small civilisations and revert to aa part arable part hunting way of life. Humans are quite fragile, without compassion and even basic healthcare the modern human species wouldn't last long at all. Non of which is dependant on anyones ability to needlessly pick on the weak.

Even if civillization was destroyed people would survive and rebuild, there are still plenty of people in some areas of the world that still have the skills required, there are probably a fair few in this country that do.
People would relearn fast, but it would truly be a case of survival of the fittest, physically and also mentally problem solving etc.

sure a meteor that would destroy civilisation would also probably kill off most of the life on earth anyway?

It's down to grey Brain matter....as you get older the Grey Brain matter reduces in size as information is gathered ie right or wrong, taste, touch, smell, interaction and many other things that make us what we are. So when you get these little oiks standing on the corner giving it all that, they're the ones that havn't been taught that it's not ok to throw obscenities at people they've never even met. Which is a dangourous situation to be in. They don't know how the other person will react...most of the time we'll leave the situation alone but sometimes people need to show these idiots that they just can't get away with it all the time hence giving them a smack when it's needed. There is no give and take with these types of feral humans.

Homosapiens have an inbuilt survival instinct in many cases so when we feel threatened by someone or something it's all down to whether we fight or take flight...normally the latter unless we get cornered like a Rat....

I watched that video of the Black guy getting all shirty several times and tbo i'm not surprised he did what he did. he had the situation in hand, regardless of his size. He only got ####ty when someone else butted in...i hate that...if it has nothing to do with you so butt out. Ok, so it was a Woman, so what? What's the problem? Woman want equal rights so she she got what she deserved at least he didn't punch her head off. The bloke in the the 1st car was an obvious a**hole, obviously couldn't drive so i think the Black guy did extremely well to get as far as he did. I would've also arrested the Woman and the other Driver for incitement to wind someone up....do women need a slap sometimes, yes, some [edited - disrespectful] (duely noted) out there are worse than the blokes so i can't see why they should get away with it and have no comeback......

Do you believe fighting is wrong or believe it's necessary based on our instincts and what we actually are?

to protect yourself and to protect those unable to defend themselves...... yes. I'd love to say no its never right but the world isnt sunshine and smiles...

fighting just to get kicks and hurt people for no valid reason disgusts me.

coming from a boxing background as well i think fighting in a ring with two grown men who are mature enough to do so responsibly is ok as its a basic human instint and should be realeased every now and again in a controlled enviroment.

Jinata, I'm troubled by your arguement. What your saying kind of echoes the arguements given by people we bring in for organising football troubles. ?

football violence is organised,they fight each other not just anyone with the oposite colour shirt on

Non of which is dependant on anyones ability to needlessly pick on the weak.

where did that come from? do you think all fights are started by the stronger person?

to protect yourself and to protect those unable to defend themselves...... yes. I'd love to say no its never right but the world isnt sunshine and smiles...

fighting just to get kicks and hurt people for no valid reason disgusts me.

coming from a boxing background as well i think fighting in a ring with two grown men who are mature enough to do so responsibly is ok as its a basic human instint and should be realeased every now and again in a controlled enviroment.

It real ####es me off when I see 2 or more kicking the #### out of someone whos laid on the ground. In my grandads day if theyre was a dispute of some sort, you wouldnt go round with a load of mates and destroy someones life, you get in a ring and have a proper 1 v 1 with no low blows.

I like it when boxers are passionate at what they do and really go haywall but when that bell rings they can shake hands and carry on with normal life.

Ryan.

Back