Figaro brake upgrade advice pls?

pietro

Ex. Club Member
I am in the process in uprating my brakes, after much research the easiest and efficient way to do this on my K10 is to get the vented Figaro brake discs and callipers. After much hunting I managed to get a set of discs and pads off Ebay for £50 and now am on the look out for Figaro callipers. I have got two quotes for this part but am still a little confused. I need to know if there is only one type of calliper for the Figaro as I fear they may sell the same callipers that are already on my k10. If somebody knows please let me know.

Also if anyone knows where to get them cheaper then £47.53 (from http://www.brakesint.co.uk) please let me know this as well. I also received a very obscene quote from my local Nissan dealership of £499 for one calliper lol this cannot be true surely??? Amazing what you can save when you shop around!

Also Arnold sorry to hear about your cambelt, dont be discouraged keep the micra going, also wanted to know how much brake fade you get after updating your brakes. Am i correct in thinking you have the vented Figaro set up?

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
you have a few options mate, you can machine 2mm of the standard k10 calipers to accommodate the new disc's, find an import k11 and take the calipers off that and use those as import k11's have the same caliper carriers as the k10 so is a direct swap (i fitted these to arnolds k10 :) )

or like you say get some new calipers, try www.brakeparts.co.uk. they also sell the discs too about £10 each back when i bought some a few years back. still £50 for discs and pads isnt bad

the final and probably best brake upgrade is to fit k11 hubs to the k10 also a direct swap and fit k11 UK spec brakes bigger better and more upgrade options

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Also Arnold sorry to hear about your cambelt, dont be discouraged keep the micra going, also wanted to know how much brake fade you get after updating your brakes. Am i correct in thinking you have the vented Figaro set up?

My cambelt is fine mate, you must be thinking of that other bloke! I have brembo disks with March K11 brake calipers, nothing from a figaro.

The brakes i feel are improved over standard, however the calipers are better than what i had before, aswell as the disks and pads. brake fade, none as far as im aware. They work and fade just like standard pads.

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
oh btw there are prob 3 types of calipers avaliable for the k10 mate

preface lift ones pre 1990
facelift 90-92
and ones to suit the vented discs whihc will really be for the figaro but will be a dirct replacment

OP
OP
pietro

pietro

Ex. Club Member
Thanks for the speedy response, after your comments I believe I am going to go for the Figaro vented discs, this is because when my breaks are not suffering from brake fade the stopping distance is fine however brake fade kicks in surprisingly early so vented disks may be my answer as well as being one of the simpler options. I am intrigued however in doing as speedle said and machine 2 mm off my existing callipers as have resources that allow for CNC milled operations. How risky is this to do i.e. weaken calliper etc and what would be your way going about doing it? I must say Speedle your information is very impressive and has provided me with a huge insight into upgrading the k10 brakes and would like to thank you for this.

Just to finalise;
There is no risk in buying exactly the same callipers that I already have as all Figaros have vented discs? Also has anyone tried this before? Finally your opinions overall would be much appreciated.

Many thanks again

P.S. sorry for mixing you up Arnold poor guy though egh?

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
hi mate

way way back in the day Kev got us some modified calipers sorted for the k10 he got someone to mill the 2mm off, i ran the car for over a year with the caliper with no ill effects as long as its done professionall it will be fine. if you want to buy the calipers new the calipers you need to buy are different to the k10 ones if you look on brakeparts.co.uk you'll see some have (vented) next to them. they are exaclty the same calipers but have the 2mm extra clearance to fit the vented disc.

so get the calipers with (vented) and you'll be able to straight swap :)

shame your not local as i could help you do it

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
the final and probably best brake upgrade is to fit k11 hubs to the k10 also a direct swap

is this true speedle? are they straight simple take k10 hub off put k11 hub on, no messing about with anything?

cause then i can fit the k11 ap 4 pot brakes hehe ultimate k10 brake upgrade then

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
I dont believe the k11 hub on a k10 has ever been successfully completed, but i think the driveshafts match. Can't see why the rest wouldnt connect up ok.

Brembo disks and figaro calipers would be fine, it's basically what i have on mine now! March K11 calipers i think are the same anyway.

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
yes it has been done fordy and yes it definitely fits seen it in the flesh, just need the entire k11 hub and its bolts straight to the suspension wishbone and track rod end, obviously track would need to be done afterwards buts this is my top priority upgrade for the new k10 ;)

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
quicky's (the dodgy super s seller) k10, he posted it up as well a long time back.

i saw it when it was posted and when i had the unfortunate mishap to go up there and buy a car from him.