Few quick questions

M

mel3383

Hi there,
cars getting old now and there are a few things starting to bug me.

first of all, the exhaust heat shield is rattling like no-ones business, is there a solution, what do you guys do, I'm close to ripping the whole thing off. can I stop the rattling or do I have to replace the shield or what?

secondly, servicing is not a problem, but I have no idea when the gearbox oil needs changing and for what, advice appreciated.
thanks
Helen

wilsonian

Ex. Club Member
Firstly welcome to the site Mel, secondly i'd recommend you buy the haynes manual for the micra - it'll be the best £15 you'll spend on your car :D

As for the heat sheild, mine was rattling as well but there are two heat sheilds, one around the manifold and one under the cat. i'd recommend double checking the bolts and replacing them if needed.

if its the heat shield that goes round the down pipe after the first cat try putting an exhaust clamp round it. That should sort it out! did on mine.
Just looking in the haynes manual it doesnt mention changing the gearbox oil as part of a service but i personally would change the gearbox oil at 100,000 miles. and be warned its going to stink when it comes out.
:D best of luck

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
if worst comes to worst you can just rip the heat sheild off, a few people have and haven't reported any problems :)

oh and welcome :)

Titch

Micra K11ng
Welcome to the MSC - if its the heat shield at the CAT rip ot off - as it's pretty useless. I took mine off going over a speed bump, leaving most of the underside of my car on it!

D

Dan_K11

my heatshield was exactly the same, so someone took it off for me, sounds so much better now without all that rattling :) nd ive had no problems so far without it. *fingers crossed*

OP
OP
M

mel3383

Hey!
thanks for all the handy replies, heatshield I'll take off on Wednesday and I'll do the gearbox oil while I'm at it, does anyone know how much oil and what grade I need for my little K11?
are there any other service issues I should be thinking about at 100k?
thanks
Helen

before u empty the gearbox oil, make sure your speedo thing on the gearbox is not seized on, because this is where you pour the oil in, if its seized and u empty the oil out, you have a big problem

OP
OP
M

mel3383

:down:
don't know what code gearbox I have, will have a look tonight when I get bck from work, thanks for that, I'll grab some 90 next week
Helen

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
hughes_16v said:
before u empty the gearbox oil, make sure your speedo thing on the gearbox is not seized on, because this is where you pour the oil in, if its seized and u empty the oil out, you have a big problem
no. you put oil in the filler hole at the front of the box. think you take it out with a 3/8 drive ratchet. park the car on level ground and fill the box with oil until it nearly/just comes out of the hole. i used to work at a nissan dealership and that's how we did it.