Few basic questions

Attachments

• 1385143056380.jpg
    1385143056380.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 209
This is bad right? Looks horrible so im wanting to change it but is it a priority or will it be okay for nw?

Attachments

• 1385143158664.jpg
    1385143158664.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 210
Haha is ther a difference with mine and the others? And what do you mean brute force? Haha cud i break something taken it off? N hw wud i to start with? Haha

Been reading on COPs and it says they create a more precise fire as ther individual and better for emissions and fuel econemy. So ther good yeah? Can they lose it over time and wud it be worth replacing with new ones?

Yes they are replaceable, but I wouldn't replace them if everything is working correctly. If you are unsure of your car's service history, it may me worth removing them and checking the plugs.

No need to replace them. I have the same coil packs on mine. Just undo the screw/bolt and pull them straight up. There is another 4 inches of tube below. It bends approx 1 inch below the dust cover. Don't worry about the clicking noise it makes this is fine. You can then access your sparkplugs. Also before refitting them just clean up the metal part where the bolt goes and also the cam cover to make a good earth bond.

Thanks alot both you. So when others have distributers and i have these. Whats the verdict? Whos better if thers a difference? Ive just noti ed alot of good cars after early 90s have them so im guessing ther okay yeah?

I would have to say coil's are better due to better detonation in the cylinder's meaning more power is delivered from the engine.At the other hand the dizzy gives you the opportunity to change(within reason)the spark timing..Coil's with a remmaped ecu is the winner for me.

Thanks alot both you. So when others have distributers and i have these. Whats the verdict? Whos better if thers a difference? Ive just noti ed alot of good cars after early 90s have them so im guessing ther okay yeah?

coil-over plug or individual coil per cylinder type like yours are just a more modern design.

your design has 4 coils to create HT electricity. each one sorts one cylinder out.
an earlier micra has a distributor and a single coil. the charge gets distributed to the correct cylinder.

the advantages of the coil-over plug type are accuracy and a slight power increase (5bhp on a 1.0L i think)
the disadvantages are that the coils in micras are "first generation" coils and so aren't necessarily reliable. the sit on top of the rocker cover and absorb large amounts of heat. if you look at any car with coil-over-plugs in this age range ('98 to '05ish) the coils will need to be replaced every 8-10 thousand miles. thats just the deal sadly.

the most obvious advantage of a distributor system is that it is much simpler than a coil-over-plug type. the distributor sits away from a lot of the engine heat, so they tend to be more reliable. there's slightly less power, but thats just the deal, again.

The power increase is 10% for coilpacks... Fairly substantial to me. Admittedly coilpack occasionally need replacing but many people on here as dizzy problems, but ive never seen a bad thread about coilpacks...

skymera

Brutal Honesty
The power increase is 10% for coilpacks... Fairly substantial to me. Admittedly coilpack occasionally need replacing but many people on here as dizzy problems, but ive never seen a bad thread about coilpacks...
Unlikely just the coilpacks themselves are the sole reason...