Faulty Turn Indicator on Instrument Cluster

Hello all!

My left turn indicator (on interior's instrument cluster) has stopped working.
You can still hear the clicking and all the exterior indicator light bulbs
are working.

I spoke to my local Nissan dealer who said it sounded like it would need
a whole new instrument cluster at a cost of approx £650 fitted!
The guy said it had happened to another Micra recently.

What do people think? I must admit I thought it would be just a case
of just needing a new bulb in the instrument cluster (or tightening a
loose bulb). I tried to lift up the dash cover to have a look
at the cluster myself, but I could not figure out how to remove it
(only managed to raise it a bit).

Are there any other solutions? Anything else worth checking? Could I get an auto-electrician to wire
up a new light in the cluster?

If people do think I need a new cluster, I am tempted to actually
get one from ebay/scrap dealer and arrange fitting elsewhere to
try and reduce my costs.

Any comments would be much appreciated, particularly as my
MOT is due soon!!!

Many thanks in advance,
Vijay

PS Was not sure if should post here or in ICE + Electronics thread!
Mod: Please feel to move as deemed appropriate!

PPS I am based in London (hence my username!) if that helps! (edited)

someone on here will be able to tell you how to remove the instrument panel, i'm sure. but if it's not repair-able then i'd say the scrappies are a safe bet, if you can find a k12 in one. the mileage will probably be different to yours, but keep a record of if all and you should be ok. even if you bought a new one it'd have barely any miles on it anyway. there are companies that offer mileage correction facilities for digital odometers so you should be ok.

i really do wish people would put there location on there profile, cause if you not silly miles away, i could come and check it and tell you what you need to buy and i could even fit it for you aswell

dont think the bulbs are removable from the cluster so a new cluster is probably right

lefty indo.

Hi London Micra,
I think your dealer is taking the p*** I'm quite sure you'll be able to replace the indi bulb in the cluster, only it is probably pretty trickily to do. I'm sure somebody on here will come to your assistance.

lol funny thing is that im 90% sure the bulbs arent removable as they are leds soldered to the circuit board iirc

Even so if you can get the cluster out you can fit a new one yourself, and save yourself the labour charge.

exactly, if worse comes worse you have to replace the whole thing. either do it yourself or get some trusty local mechanics on the job it would save you loads on labour.

better still, wait for the whole thing to die first before replacing. :blush:

Well, the dealer seemed quite certain (like Fordy).
Apparently he said he had seeN the same problem iN other Micras
and the only solution was a new cluster.
I also found this link:

www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=Nissan_Micra_K12

which seems to suggest it is a common fault/failure.

So I have bought a 2nd hand cluster (was surprisingly easy) at the cost of £75 (delivered) and I hope to get a mechanic to fit it this weekend. I have tried to remove the dash trim, but I got stuck! Worth a gamble compared to £650! If it is not the solution, it looks like I will be left with a spare cluster to try and sell!!! I must admit to be left rather nervous about possible future electrical failures (stupid Renault!!!).

Does anyone know if it is easy to get the digital milometer adjusted? Ideally I would like to get the "new" cluster adjusted to match the "old" cluster's mileage without spending too much.

As I mentioned earlier, I need to sort this out as it is an MOT item and the next MOT will be due within a couple of months!

Thanks for all your help and interest....will let you next week if the new cluster does the trick!!!

new cluster

Well, the dealer seemed quite certain (like Fordy).
Apparently he said he had seem the same problem is other Micras
and the only solution was a new cluster.
I also found this link:

www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=Nissan_Micra_K12

which seems to suggest it is a common fault/failure.

So I have bought a 2nd hand cluster (was surprisingly easy) at the cost of £75 (delivered) and I hope to get a mechanic to fit it this weekend. I have tried to remove the dash trim, but I got stuck! Worth a gamble compared to £650! If it is not the solution, it looks like I will be left with a spare cluster to try and sell!!! I must admit to be left rather nervous about possible future electrical failures (stupid Renault!!!).

Does anyone know if it is easy to get the digital milometer adjusted? Ideally I would like to get the "new" cluster adjusted to match the "old" cluster's mileage without spending too much.

As I mentioned earlier, I need to sort this out as it is an MOT item and the next MOT will be due within a couple of months!

Thanks for all your help and interest....will let you next week if the new cluster does the trick!!!

Hi London Micra
I think a letter to nissan would be in order here!
It certanly can't do any harm. I had a great result when I complained.
I wrote to customer services the adress is in the hand book, somewhere, it's in Birmingham I think, I even got a phone call from Paris one evening asking if I was satisfied with the service I'd received, NO I WAS NOT!!!

Anybody know?

Oh dear....the cluster has arrived, but it appears to be different!
The shape is the same, but the position of everything is different!
I assume it is from a later Micra (post 2003).

The problem is that I had a mechanic booked today to change
the cluster....does anyone know whether the connector of
my Micra (2003) simply connects into this newer cluster
and whether all the indicators/counters will work???

If not, it looks like I will have to send it back and get it exchange
(more hassle and expense!).

Any quick replies would be much appreciated!!!!!

Shanker

Update: Still not sorted out!

Just to update you....I finally returned the incorrect cluster and got a new cluster from a Breaker. The mechanic fitted it today - the good news is that the indicator problem has gone with the new cluster, the bad news it that all the dials' readings are out! The speedo reads 20mph too high (similar with other dials). Refitting the old cluster solves the problem (but without a working indicator!). I am a bit stuck! Is it likely that the new cluster's calibration has gone wrong (either thro the accident which resulted in the car becoming salvage or thro transit in the post)? Should I expect a new cluster to simply work perfectly when fitted or should it need calibration? Is there any chance my mechanic could have done something wrong during installation? The cluster comes with a 90 day warranty from the Salvage merchant. Should I ask them for an exchange and hope the next cluster will work? Or should I be asking a Nissan dealer to try and recalibrate the new cluster? If so, any ideas how much this could cost? (It sounds expensive to me!). Any thoughts would be really appreciated!!!!

Update:

I finally got a cluster which works, albeit the rev counter
being problematic. Thankfully the car has now passed
its MOT, so things are ok for the moment! I am tempted
to get my old cluster repaired in preparation for the same
fault occurring in my new cluster! Thank you for all your help!
Shanker

Hello,

Just wanted to post an update to this thread in case anyone was looking.

I bought my Micra in July last year knowing that it had this fault - again with the left indicator - but that it had also passed it's MOT like that. (It was included in the advisory notes)

As a LOT of people have this fault, and it is frankly a manufacturing fault. I felt confident that when I took my car to the local Nissan garage for an MOT they would so some sympathy for something that does not affect the safety of my car. The tick-tock noise that the indicator makes works after all.

BOY was I wrong. It failed and I was slapped with a £600 bill to make my car 'safe for the road'.

Well, I am glad to say that I fought this and won. I saved a page from the MOT guidelines and sent it to them. It clearly says

"Direction indicator 'tell tales' may be audible or visual."​

And not only have they passed my car, but I've also got my MOT free for pointing out their mistake. So if it happens to you please fight it, you don't need the tell tale to be visual and audible. Especially when it costs so much to replace!

Link to the MOT guidelines on the matter here: http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4s01000402.htm

Wosza :eek:
Thanks for the update. I could imagine others getting caught out like this.
Bleddy Nissan garages :(
Glad you won in the end, will have to remember this.

Well, I am glad to say that I fought this and won. I saved a page from the MOT guidelines and sent it to them. It clearly says

"Direction indicator 'tell tales' may be audible or visual."

That's a brilliant find. Could really help some people pass their MOT's :).

Me again!

Before I disputed with my garage about the MOT result, I sent an email to VOSA so I could have something in writing to show to the garage. They replied yesterday and I thought I would copy in full here to help anyone with some more 'official sounding language.'

Thank you for your email enquiry dated 25th March, 2014 concerning an

Enquiry about indicator tell tale.

You are correct it should not have failed if the audible tell tale is

working, the manual does state may be visual or audible it does not require

both.

If you think your car has incorrectly failed an MOT test you will be

required to complete a VT17 appeal form which are available from any MOT

testing station. Alternatively, you can ring our Contact Centre on the

number below who will be able to advise you further.

You must appeal within 14 days of the test and we will require a full test

fee from you. We will then offer an appointment within 5 working days to

recheck your vehicle and if your appeal is successful, some or all of the

test fee may be refunded to you.

We will then pass the details to your nearest VOSA Office who will then

contact you with their decision on whether the vehicle can be re-examined.

If appropriate, they will arrange a date, time and location for a VOSA

Vehicle Examiner to retest the vehicle. If in their opinion the vehicle

should not have been issued with a failure, then appropriate action will be

taken against the garage and tester. However, VOSA cannot authorise any

compensation or remuneration as a result of any dispute arising from this

procedure, as this would be a civil matter between yourselves and the

garage.

If you unable to go through the appeals process because you are either

outside of the time limit or have had your vehicle repaired, we will pass

on the details you have provided to the Regional Intelligence Unit who may

use this information for further investigation.

I hope this information has assisted you with your enquiry, but if you have

any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again.
Hope this helps someone! I've seen so many posts on the internet about people being forced to fork out hundreds of £s to get this fixed and it's not a fail!

D x

Dashboard Main Beam and Indicator Warning Lamps DIY Repair: K12

Here’s a link to Silver Foxes cheap simple improvised DIY electrical repair guide of dashboard main beam and indicator tell-tale lamps. This avoids expensive parts replacements and disputes with MOT testing garages trying to maximise profits by creating unnecessarily expensive repair work for MOT”s.

Reference; http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/indicator-tell-tale-light-on-dashboard-dead.46968/#post-487004

Last edited:
Back