Fastest 1/4 mile N/A k11?

frank

Club Member
i could,nt quite break into the 16,s @ 80mph in mine last year paul :doh: (i think i can now tho)
what target have you got for yours ?

OP
OP
Paul Smith

Paul Smith

Site Supporter
I'm aiming for 15.5 and i reckon mine is very capable, but i wanna aim for the current record.

So are we going with 15.9?

Thanks

Paul

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
No, not if your going to santa pod. No one has ever got close to 15.x in a NA K11.

BTW youll need approx 130 bhp to get a 15.5 @ pod.

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
all strips are different, it'd only really be fair to compare times from the same strip imo.

Spot on, even then the weather makes a HUGE difference. Santapod for example quite often has really strong head on winds, after all it was a runway and they are built to face into prevailing winds for obvious reasons...

Antony

Ex. Club Member
stani, at santa pod it would most probs turn out to be a 16.4 or you may even get 15.5 at york dragway for instance... if they are all on the same track at the same time then who knows who's is the fastest. but for shear numbers sake. 15.9 is pretty quick.

i think my fastest at santa pod was 16.65 (kenny was waay ahead of me though in his 1.4 sport+ so maybe he has a 15 something time)

jim_bling

Ex. Club Member
well in my defense ian my exhaust was blowingand needed aservice i should hopefully find out in a few month when i throw her down santa pod

Stani1029

Club Member
ok but crail is right at the water, and its windy alot of the time too. im not making any excuses though i gotta 15.9, but its funny how little bandit can run a 12.1 at crail but nobody says #### about it being wrong or whatever. must just be me :D

has anyone ever been to both santa pod and crail with similar weather conditions to compare times??

Robb

Site Supporter
I could break into the 16.s with a few more attempts (santa pod), all stock except half stripped interior and sr alloys (and half a tank of fuel lol).

richj

Deactivated Account
So how about a quater mile tournement at pod? Random draws, winner goes through :) That would be worth the drive!

OP
OP
Paul Smith

Paul Smith

Site Supporter
I'm up for that.

I'm just after the quickest N/A run down a 1/4 mile wind and things are just pot luck.

All this argueing above is silly as i'm am gonna beat all the above times......

(well i gotta stay confident)

Baz

Ex. Club Member
ok but crail is right at the water, and its windy alot of the time too. im not making any excuses though i gotta 15.9, but its funny how little bandit can run a 12.1 at crail but nobody says #### about it being wrong or whatever. must just be me :D

has anyone ever been to both santa pod and crail with similar weather conditions to compare times??

ssshhhuusshh dont mention the war(Y)

I did'nt even know it did a 12.1 thats serious,

I can only manage a 14.9:doh:

Ian

Ex. Club Member
the thing is stani, maybe at pod it was faster due to the better grip? You can't really argue with that time when its putting out over 400bhp though really :eek:

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Crail always gets faster times. You would never get the same times at SP as you do at Crail.

richj

Deactivated Account
I got 18.4 at the pod in a standard k10 1.2. 17.x sounds about right for a slightly heavier, more powerfull k11.

Dave Bull

Ex. Club Member
I just found this thread and I can't believe that people are stating that Crail is a faster track than Santa Pod.

If you think that, you obviously haven't been to Crail, as the strip isn't prepped, is full of bumps and minor potholes and usually covered in gravel or oil or something that your tyres don't like.

For example, I know of a very quick Civic Type R, owned by Scott Whitelaw that ran in the 10's at 130+ mph at Santa Pod, but could only muster a best of 12.2 at Crail. Also, James Hodson (I think that's how it is spelled) in his Mk2 Golf that has run in the 10's at Santa Pod, could only manage 12 at Crail as well.

Santa Pod id far superior to Crail in the terms of traction and track preparation / condition.

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
I just found this thread and I can't believe that people are stating that Crail is a faster track than Santa Pod.

If you think that, you obviously haven't been to Crail, as the strip isn't prepped, is full of bumps and minor potholes and usually covered in gravel or oil or something that your tyres don't like.

For example, I know of a very quick Civic Type R, owned by Scott Whitelaw that ran in the 10's at 130+ mph at Santa Pod, but could only muster a best of 12.2 at Crail. Also, James Hodson (I think that's how it is spelled) in his Mk2 Golf that has run in the 10's at Santa Pod, could only manage 12 at Crail as well.

Santa Pod id far superior to Crail in the terms of traction and track preparation / condition.

Nice to hear from you Dave.......hope all is well.

I can understand what you are saying, Crail's track surface is much to be desired in comparison to Pod. However it has been noted countless times that many K11's at Crail ran lower times than those run at Pod. Way back someone in a standard 1.3 K11 with an air filter was running quicker times than people with pretty well setup cars at Pod.

Although Pod has a much better surface, in my opinion the initial start is not going to be as important than it is with a car like yours was. NA K11's in particular cannot make much use of the increased grip......they just don't have the power to get a super low 60ft getaway!

As for beating the quickest time, one will have to beat Ray Gimberts 157bhp Nismo K11, and in my opinion that's quite a tall order. He ran very comfortably in the 15's. However it is about time someone, (come on Paul! ;)), set a nice low time.........it would certainly get a few people going and may result in a few pod meets this year....well I hope so anyway.

Stani1029

Club Member
im coming to santa pod then, when does it close this year can anyone tell me? my car should be in full working order by start september and then we can compare times to crail....

Alienfish360

Awesome Dawson
Even in the professional drag racing championships, both world FIA and european FIA. Santa Pod is known as a slow track.

Maybe there should be a club RWYB day at Santa Pod next year, or all run at The Fast Show.

OP
OP
Paul Smith

Paul Smith

Site Supporter
I am gonna try and get to the RWYB on the 04/07/09 if possible gotta try and repair my sports cat by then. The car definitely runs better with it. (blown the casing in half twice in 4 weeks)

Robb

Site Supporter
'Im no expert' lol but would the conditions of the strip at Crail make a noticable difference in a typical micra?

OP
OP
Paul Smith

Paul Smith

Site Supporter
Ok

Did not manage it on this attempt i ran 16.5 which is respectable i think. Did change to a decat last night just wonderin if that had a large impact on the performance obviously as there have been no back pressure.
also on my fastest run my clutch was slipping in 1st,2nd,and 3rd.

Bring on august i'll b ready

Thanks

Paul

Antony

Ex. Club Member
how is it possible then that my car managed a 16.6 at santa pod with 76.6bhp at the wheels and no interior (engine had 130,000 miles) and with stock manifold?

why did i get a good time with my car then?

jdmk11mike

Ex. Club Member
i got a 15.5 dead at crail in my 1.6

ed i dont think you would need to get a terminal speed of 130 to get a 15.5,its all about grip, i was getting 15.5 dead with a terminal speed of 89.9mph

'Im no expert' lol but would the conditions of the strip at Crail make a noticable difference in a typical micra?

its becuase the strip slopes downhill mate, thats why you get good times at crail,santa pod is perfectly flat,thats way good times at pod are hard to get, but its a true representation of your cars quarter mile capabilities

im coming to santa pod then, when does it close this year can anyone tell me? my car should be in full working order by start september and then we can compare times to crail....

your in for long drive then buddy, its a 5.5 hour drive from me and your an extra 2.5 hours away lol

Alienfish360

Awesome Dawson
santa pod is perfectly flat,thats way good times at pod are hard to get, but its a true representation of your cars quarter mile capabilities

Not necessarily true, as Santa Pod is designed to face into the wind the majority of time as it was a military airstrip.

Also, temperatures can have an effect, the best way to find the fastest is to race them on the same day side by side.

ed i dont think you would need to get a terminal speed of 130 to get a 15.5,its all about grip, i was getting 15.5 dead with a terminal speed of 89.9mph

Where did Ed say 130mph speed? It says 130bhp.

Robb

Site Supporter
its becuase the strip slopes downhill mate, thats why you get good times at crail,santa pod is perfectly flat,thats way good times at pod are hard to get, but its a true representation of your cars quarter mile capabilities

Ya ya i know it slopes :), i was refering to Dave Bull's comment saying that Crail is comprimised by bumps and crap tarmac etc, but in a micra these things would hardly matter, so you would still get quicker times at Crail. A car doing over a ton at the 1/4 mile would be very much affected by a crap strip but a stock micra, which would do well to reach 70mph by the end, wouldnt mind a few bumps.

how is it possible then that my car managed a 16.6 at santa pod with 76.6bhp at the wheels and no interior (engine had 130,000 miles) and with stock manifold?

why did i get a good time with my car then?

When was that Ant?

Antony

Ex. Club Member
When was that Ant?

one of the meets last year.... my second run. the first was awefull, (was 18 something) and the final run my clutch slipped something rotten and jim bling beat me in his cga3 sport +:glare::glare: