FAQ thread begins

Kev

Pro Cut Vinyl
Founding Member
Official MSC Trader
Hi all,

I would like to ask for your help in making a comprehensive FAQ thread for new members that join the forums.

Such as, topics like:

"I want to turbo my K11"
"where can I get a bodykit for my micra"
"what wheels fit my car"

You get where I'm going with this........

If you wouldn't mind taking some time to pick a question that gets asked a lot here and create a detailed answer the best you can.

Anyone that doubles up, we'll take both answers and combine them to make the best answer. If you see one already done and can add further to it, still submit it and again I'll combine the two.

When we create the thread, we'll put your forum name underneath the question and answer.

thanks for your time
Kev

Q- wot modifacations can i do that are cheap or free.

a- de-badge/sticker,
de-bumpstrip(the strips that go across the doors),
colour code bumpers, door handles and number plate light strip.
tint rear lights and headlights,
air filter
led side lights and clock lights

Q- what oils are needed for the car

a- k10,
engine oil of 10/40 semi synthetic, gearbox oil of 80/90 transmission oil(manuel box) atf (automatic transmission fluid for autos).
k11,
engine oil of 10/40 semi synthetic, gearbox oil of 75/90 semi synthetic (manuel box) atf for automatics, power steering fluid is atf also.
will find the k12 oils at work on monday and add

also a common one that seems to crop up is about engine transplants and such!

maybe from a k10 point of view,

Q what engine will fit straight into my k10 with no modification?
A Both the ma10 and ma12 will straight swap

prob not wored as ive put out though

"How can i make my micra Faster?"

The very first mods for any micra would be a full service
-Plugs, Champion Eon 4 are the best i have used (£19.99 From halfords)
-HT leads, (£39.99 from nissan, dont get aftermarket if you can help it)
-Oil change (10-W40 part synthetic is the usual, £17.99 5L, requires 4.5 L)
-Oil filter (£5.64 from ADL-Blueprint)
-Fuel filter. (£12.99 from ADL -Blueprint)

Performance gains after the service would start with a panel filter fitted into the stock air box, (green cotton and K+N available from £35.50 www.rallynuts.com)

A janspeed 4-2-1 manifold is the biggest increase in BHP from a standard car but will fail an mot on cars with high mileage (unless it has a new secondary CAT or a fuel computer/ re-map) (£140.20 from www.HumphrisOxford.co.uk, remap From www.Fusion-motorsports.co.uk ~£300)

The next modification would be a cat back exhaust with a free flowing rear silencer, Sportex, janspeed, Ashley and OMP all do systems that will suit the K11 micra. Stainless options are also available from Matt Humphris (www.humphrisoxford.co.uk) Rally nuts (www.rallynuts.com) and Demon-Tweeks (www.demon-tweeks.co.uk)

-Sportex back box (£99.95 www.ebay.co.uk)
-Janspeed Back box (£119.14 www.rallynuts.com)
-Janspeed catback (£178.71 mild steel, £218.30 stainless from www.Humphrisoxford.co.uk)
-Ashley back box (£139.99 www.ebay.co.uk)
(other systems are available)

Next you realy need to start looking at handling as you are going to be putting down some 85-95 bhp (depending on the state of your engine before modifications)

-50mm Lowering springs (£118 from www.HumphrisOxford.co.uk)
-35mm Spax springs (£87.18 from www.Humphrisoxford.co.uk)
-Uprated Spax shock absorbers (£188.66 www.HumphrisOxford.co.uk)
-Front Strut brace (£77.14 from www.HumphrisOxford.co.uk)
(Other parts are available to greatly increase your road holding)

Brakes next, We all want to go, but you have to stop as well.

-Brembo max disk upgrade (£66.60 www.rallynuts.com)
-Brembo Sports disks groved and drilled (£115.74 www.rallynuts.com)
-Goodridge Braided steel hoses (£40 www.rallynuts.com)
-Mintex fast road pads (£48.62 www.rallynuts.com)
-Mintex rally/competition pads (£101.88 www.rallynuts.com)

Others are available including fitting Nissan Pulsar GTI-R calipers, disks and pads. These will require a 2mm spacer washer between the shock absorber and the caliper in order to clear the brake disk. But they are unbeatable. (Anything from £60 for a decent second hand set in need of refurb)

Anything after this for all you guys will depend on your wallet.

"what wheels will fit my car?"

Anything of 13" 14" or 15" (bearing in mind if you have pulsar brakes some 14's wont fit and no 13"'s will fit)

4x100 PCD (pitch circle diameter) ET 15 to ET 45 offset (depending on wheel style and size)

Wheels from
Vauxhall corsa, nova, astra (4 stud) kadett, calibra 8V,
Vw Golf mk 1-3, Polo, Lupo,
Nissan Pulsar / sunny / almera 4 stud. primera 4stud, 180sx S13 4 stud.
Toyota Starlet, AE86 hachiroku, Celica, Mr2 4 stud,
Mazda 323, 626 4 stud, Mx-5 (modification needed to centre bore), mx-3 4 stud,
Honda Civic, Accord 4 stud, Integra, Jazz.

99% of all cars with 4x100 wheel fitment wil have wheels that fit the micra. its all about choice.

whats the top spec micras and what do they come with? (because iam cba to post a big list)
in oldest to newest order:

super s (1.3 only) prefcaelift
electric windows (some have winders) rev counter, alloys, sportier bumpers, mudflaps, driving lights, rear disc axle (optinial extra) fuel and boot release cable, PAS (optinal extra) has a quick steering rack with this option, sportier front seats & rear seats, pop out rear 1/4 windows, rear spoiler, small sports steering wheel, interior adjustiable wing mirrors, courlor coded wing mirrors, phase 1 front grill.

SR (1.3 only) prefacelift
electric windows, rev counter, alloys, sportier bumpers, mudflaps, driving lights, rear disc axle (optinal extra) tweeters, fuel and boot release cable, PAS (optinal extra) has a quick steering rack with this option, sportier front seats & rear seats, pop out rear 1/4 windows, rear spoiler, interior adjustiable wing mirrors, courlor wing mirrors. phase 2 front grill.

SI (1.0 & 1.3) facelift
electric windows, rev counter, alloys, courlor coded bumpers & boot handle, mudflaps, FOG lights, fuel release cable, spoiler, pop out rear windows, PAS optinal extra. air con optinal extra, tweeters, interior adjustiable wing mirrors, courlor coded wing mirrors.

i missed sport + 2001+ because iam not that familair with it lol.

"will the SR20 fit into my micra?"

The answer is yes but its not that easy..

The amount of work / money involved isnt that far off putting a V6 into a corsa or a Vtec engine into a mini.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...1&prev=/images?q=sr20de+micra&um=1&hl=en&sa=G

Its possible and has been done about 20 times so far to my knowledge. The most famous conversion is that of Dave Bull and "little bandit". A fire breathing 504BHP 590kg's bullet of a car that won the Ultimate Scotish Street car title from a nissan skyline GTR and had been making waves in the supercar world for around 2 years. This however, cost Dave around £15,000 to build, develope and perfect.

Firstly you will need an SR20DE engine and gearbox from a nissan primera, almera, sunny gti or any other front wheel drive 2.0 nissan from 1992-1998.

The micra engine bay will need to be stripped of all stock parts and made stronger around the inner wings and strut towers to allow for the extra weight and power.

You will need the full ecu wiring loom from the donor vehicle, this will need to be fitted in place of the Micra ecu and wiring harness.

Custom engine mounts will need to be fabricated and welded into the car making sure that the driveshafts are as in line to the hubs as possible.

Custom driveshafts will need to be Designed and fabricated with the engine in situe.

Cooling for the engine will need to again be custom as the stock radiator will no longer flow enough water to be effective, this would include custom water hoses.
A custom exhaust will need to be designed and fabricated also as the micra one will not fit.

And after all that you will need stiffer front springs, stiffer shock absorbers, gearbox linkages, speedo conectors and is highly recomended to upgrade the brakes too.

This is just a very very basic breakdown of what is deffinately needed to get the engine in the car and bolted down. You then have to tackle the MOT, Registration a V5 and you will need an engineers certificate. Not to mention Insurance.

This little lot, if tackled yourself, will still set you back around £1500-£2000 (thats a very basic base setup)

Not something to be tackled lightly.

what to look for when buying a k11:

check the sills (the bottom of the sides of the car) for rust especially if it has a sunroof.
also check the cross member (at the front under the bumper) for rust.
check that the engine runs smoothly (take it for a test drive)
check the brake pipes for rust.

basically any rust on the car, its the major killer of micras.

all other faults should be easy to repair, common faults like:

CV gators (rubber bits behind the front wheels on the drive shafts) these split and need replacing but take about an hour with the right tools

fan speed only working on 4, the resistor card needs replacing, located in the passenger foot well attached to the bottom of the heater motor, and held in with two positive screws, simply undo, pull out and unplug and do the reverse with the new card.

engine making rattling noise, this is a common thing with micras, its the timing chain rattling and most micras make it and still run for many more miles so no need to worry.

banging from the rear of the car when going over bumps. this is the rear drop links, a couple of bolts and they are replaced. order the new part first and you will know what to look for.

won't start. there are many reasons for this, some are a NATS issue, (nissan anti theft system) but the first thing to try is removing the fuel pump fuse and trying it.

rattle from under the gear stick, this is the heat shield for the second cat, if you get under the car there is a silver plate below the gear stick, a 10mm socket will get this off, and you can run the car without it.

water in the passenger foot well. this is a blockage from just under the scuttle pannel. take off the wind screen wipers and remove the plastic surround and clear out anything inside.

boot not opening when pulling the release cable. alot of micras have snapped release cables, this is a pain to replace just because of the amount of time it takes, but other than that its pretty straight forward.

gear change is a bit difficult. try changing the gear box oil, it can make the world of difference.

headlight is not working, usually passenger. this is where the terminals on the connector get dirty and the electricity starts to arc, this causes the plug to melt. replace the plug but ALSO replace the bulb or it will happen again.

adding to above..

passenger headlight not working can be caused also by the fuse box rusting inside. The fueses for the headlights are located behind the passenger headlamp and infront of the battery and are prone to water damage. If you have changed your bulb and it is still not working you may want to check inside the fuse box for rust. if it is rusty in there you will need to find the earth cable for the lights (usualy white with a red stripe) and the possitive cable for the passenger headlight (usualy red or black but if you follow the cables from the bottom of the fuse box you can miss it) simply cut the earth cable, strip into two and replace the fuse with a waterproof inline fuse holder and 15A blade fuse.
next thing to do is to seal the fuse box. cheapest and easiest way is with black electrical tape around the front of the box so an ingress of water is not possible.

which is the fastest standard micra?

how do i import an ST?

who has the most modified micra?

who has the fastest micra?

1) The fastest standard micra currently available is the 160SR k12, however the fastest micra ever made by nissan was the March k10 Super turbo. The fastest k11 is the 1.4 CGA3DE 3 door from 2001.

2) The easiest way to Import an ST is through Ireland. There is quite a few over there. Allthough you can get one from Japan through Powerplay Imports, Distinctive cars york and other major importers. Most will include import duties and Registration fees into the price, but allways check first.

3) The Most Modified micra would be hard as there are many micras in various states of modification. i would say the most "modified" would be Dave Bull's Little bandit, however this no longer exists. The crown would have to be passed onto Kristian and his Yellow, Wide-arched SR20DET K11 or even ED's near 200bhp k10 Super Turbo.

4) Fastest acceleration again would have been Dave Bull with over 500BHP and under 650KG's... current micra's would again be a toss up for first place. ED's k10 ST, Nis's K11 Sport Plus turbo, Toney and his GA16 K11 and not to mention MPH (matt humphris) rally cars, Wayne Gimbert sponsored Nismo K11 March Cup car...etc etc. i dont think anyone actualy knows.

1) The fastest standard micra currently available is the 160SR k12, however the fastest micra ever made by nissan was the March k10 Super turbo. The fastest k11 is the 1.4 Sport+ 3 door from 2001.

All the 1.4 second facelift engines were the same though right? So the base spec would probably be quickest as it wouldn't have heavy addons.

All the 1.4 second facelift engines were the same though right? So the base spec would probably be quickest as it wouldn't have heavy addons.

i don't know if there is such a thing as a base spec 1.4 tho

sorry this is adding to the miss information, we should really be posting on things we are 100% on

Come on peeps, there much more then can be put into this.

Keep them coming, we got off to a good start.

I started to create a page on the main site and once this will also go into the forum FAQ too.

thanks
Kev

Back