Failed mot on a split pin!

Took my car for an mot today. It failed on a split pin. Refusal note says - near side front suspension arm locating pin locking device missing (2.4.g.3b)

I went to halfrauds and brought a set of pins and asked them to just change it for me and pass it as not runs out Monday. He took it up on the ramp again and "tried" to unwedge the old one as it has sneered off. They told me it would be 50 quid labor to drill it out.

Ideas?

Apparently so, I saw him try and pull at it with players but tht was it. How hard can it be? I've got tough ones off the wheel hub before

Its a good question,. Reason is I haven't seen this spit pin and where its lodged. Was hoping someone would have experience of this and what would be really helpful would be a pic of where its located

its gonna be the bottom balljoint splitpin, just google image "micra k11 balljoint" and its standard practice to drill a sheared one out

I used a hammer and punch to remove my sheared off one. IIRC the hole is about 3.5 or 4mm dia and I just happen to have a straight shank punch that fitted through. A broken drill bit might work too. This job is no real biggie, certainly not £50 omg!

drilling it out is not as easy as first seems, be carefull if you will have half a broken drill in there, which is harder to shoft, goto a nut and bolt place and buy a nylok nut, ( a nut with a nylon insert in the top)

tryme... get a pic so i can try and help you if you want to. (but i ain't got tool atm so i will need to borrow from my uncle soon cos i am going to restore my micra soon). When is your 10 working days mot expire?

the mot runs out on monday! aahhh
ive tried googling "micra k11 balljoint" but cant see any pictures of them actually ON the car. which isnt great as i dont know where the split pin will be...

im assuming this is it and the pin will be beneath the joint?:

http://www.jdmgarageuk.com/image/cache/data/dwrads/S14BJ-500x500.png

in other words will it be thread up or thread down going by the picture?

Not a micra but its shows how it works, split pin goes through the balljoint (hole near the end of the thread) so if the castle nut backs off the hub cannot jump off the wishbone

P1010739.jpg

you will need to replace it or you can do drill like what frank said. the drill will be easier for you tho cos you bought split pins already. And also this nut is so strong which will be hard to remove it. it will be better to drill it though.

EDIT

just spoke to the guy who done the MOT and he said that the split pin has sheared off and its so flush with the thread you cant see it.

he said he roughly located it yesterday and tried to get it out with a hammer and a punch but couldnt do it.
he said hed advise me to give it another go with a hammer and a good punch or drill it out.

he said it looks like someone has tried to take the pin out before and it has snapped off so they most probably yanked the nut off and made the pin very flush with the thread.

my theory is nobody noticed this the previous 2x i took the car to their garage for MOTs so who knows.

i also asked him if i can put a nyloc nut on top and he said no it has to be split pin as the others have split pin

could be wheel bearing, outer ball joint, track rod, front caliper and somewhere in near side front suspension. i think it will be track rod.:eek:

this pic.... it looks like snapped (i was going to say earlier) so you can't locate this split pin so you will need to relocate with drill or replace new one. anyway good luck for ur mot.

my theory is nobody noticed this the previous 2x i took the car to their garage for MOTs so who knows.

i also asked him if i can put a nyloc nut on top and he said no it has to be split pin as the others have split pin

ok you listen to mot which you will need to pay more.:rolleyes: if you drill it then you will save £50. £50 is nothing so to be honest with you these mechanic people are technically taking your money. So in order to be efficient, you might aswell drill it in yourself.

If you cant pull it out or push it out with a drift it ain't gonna fall out is it?... So why's it failing the MOT in the first place?.... If it's there it's not missing is it? ...

I said the same and he said because it looks like the nut could still come off it. Also yes drilling from other side prob a good idea.

could just drill through the side of the nut, atleast you will have a flat serface to start drilling, go all the way through the nut, thread then the nut again. bang a splitty through it, job done

I was going to say I tried a hammer and punch today no way it's coming out.

Can I create a new hole? Due to the positioning of the original pin I would have to remove the whole hub to get at it with a drill.

Thank you

yea, you can make a hole through nut thread like what hoophub said. you can do any ways but if you drill then it will be quicker than to remove this whole hub. its up to you. good luck

Nah thats a load of b/s the mot doesn't compare the sides to each other. It must have a locking device fitted.... so either split pin or locknut will suffice.

Agree Hoopdub, this sounds fairly vague:

4. Check the presence and effectiveness of front suspension retaining and locking devices.

Note: It is not always possible to determine the presence and effectiveness of certain types of locking devices e.g. locking fluid or ‘nyloc’ nuts.

I don't really agree with a double nut (in my obsessive opinion it would just look wrong :p). I'd do both sides and fit Nylocs.

Back