Facelift Hub Kit With Air Bag

W4RDL3 M1CR4

Ex. Club Member
Where can I find a hub kit and steering wheel to fit my car? It's got a driver air bag and also its a facelift.

Hope someone can help me out with this!

Thanks in advance.

Any boss for the micra should fit...think ive got a momo one on (so check places like Demon Tweeks). Though you'll be without an airbag (dont think they do a boss for the airbagged cars)...and your horn wont work the was it was intended.

(if the steering airbag system is the same design as mine it being a 95)...you can make up your own alteration which basically involves running your own wiring so a contact can be made to the rear of the hub allowing the centre horn push to function.

It'll be easier with a pic to understand the horn bit plus it saves me from rambling :) so if i get the chance i'll whip the steering wheel off my car and get a pic (somthing ive been meaning to do as a guide for some time now anyways)

solarice said:
(if the steering airbag system is the same design as mine it being a 95)...you can make up your own alteration which basically involves running your own wiring so a contact can be made to the rear of the hub allowing the centre horn push to function.
i've just had this dilemma. i was wondering if it would be possible to modify a non-airbag horn contact to fit.
please do get a pic of yours up if you get chance.
cheers.

silver_si said:
i've just had this dilemma. i was wondering if it would be possible to modify a non-airbag horn contact to fit.
please do get a pic of yours up if you get chance.
cheers.

you can and you cant...its not possible to fit a normal non-airbagged car horn piece straight onto the column (i had problems anyway though i cant remember exactly the issue -- possibly doesnt line up -- but open to confirmation), so i just used the bits that make up that area.

Hopefully you can make out what ive done in the pic...best i can get until i get around to removing the boss. :)

I took the copper contact and spring from one and made a holder for it (end of a pen iirc just check the tube length for clearance for turning without to much friction occuring between the boss and the contact). You then attach the base of the spring to a wire (grey wire in pic), tape up the end and attach that to the contact normally goes to the horn, as luck would have it theres a hole big enough for the wire to be fed through the column and theres also a scew hole that holds the steering together (main black plastic area in the pic) that you can wedge the holder (i possibly had to build up the difference with tape for a snug fit) into to allow the contact to touch the boss without moving.

Incidently the momo boss, cant activate the auto cancel for the indicators, from memory i think one of the three pins doesnt line up properly (this again could be a airbag issue, and non-airbagged cars may not have this problem) a bit of measuring / dabbing ink on to the pins of the autocancel and checking alignment against the boss and a drill allows for easy modification of this.

Hopefully that makes sense (probably more so, if / when you see the area in question yourself)...i'll make a proper guide version of it when i get the chance -- though it is fairly straight forward. :)

Kris.

(longest post be me ever...lol)

Attachments

• solarice-HornMod.jpg
    solarice-HornMod.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 307
did you earth the Airbag light aswell? im sure its an MOT failure it its permanently on or somthing like that

nope just removed the light from the dash cluster, i made a parcel tape hood for it aswell so no red shines out.

ah smooth, I remember reading a guide on how to do it before, seemed awfully complicated :S

I was glad when I did mine it was a case of pulling the front off, unscrewing the middle bolt, boss kit on, steering wheel on, tighten up, away we go (Y)

Got any pics of the wheel?

Spike said:
did you earth the Airbag light aswell? im sure its an MOT failure it its permanently on or somthing like that
the airbag light isn't an issue for the mot, the light could be on or flashing "kiss my shiney metal a**" in morse code, and it'd still pass the mot.

also you don't earth the airbag light, you need to bridge the two airbag contacts with a 3.5 ohm resistor, fooling the airbag ecu into thinking the airbag is there.
i didn't do this straight away with the wife's car, and after speaking to raceworx, he said if the lights been on, for anything other than the test, you'd need to take the car to a nissan garage for them to erase the fault code as the light will remain on, even if you re-connect the airbag.

thanks for the info and pics solarice

It is a fail if the airbag light is on mate, any warning light on in the dash and it fails - the MOT is a safety check, your airbag light on indicates a safety system fault - so its a fail im afraid. Thats the code of practice in my workshop, dont know bout dodgy MOT stations tho...seen some of their passes!

On the horn subject. I used the pin from my old K10, drilled a hole through the white shroud behind the boss kit and it worked no problem - Titch has his horn wired to a button on his dash!

Daz

K10Daz said:
It is a fail if the airbag light is on mate, any warning light on in the dash and it fails - the MOT is a safety check, your airbag light on indicates a safety system fault - so its a fail im afraid. Thats the code of practice in my workshop, dont know bout dodgy MOT stations tho...seen some of their passes!

On the horn subject. I used the pin from my old K10, drilled a hole through the white shroud behind the boss kit and it worked no problem - Titch has his horn wired to a button on his dash!

Daz
having worked at an mot station (nissan main dealer) i know for a fact that the airbag system isn't part of the mot at all. if the abs light was on though that'd be a fail as this is an mot requirement. that's why they have the info on abs test lights on the wall for evey car, and not for the airbag light.
also, i disconnected sister-in-laws airbag as she sits too close to steering wheel. never removed bulb or anything and for 4 years it went through mot, at different stations. obviously stations in the know!

Hummmm are you sure about the Air bag guys....my mates Ka failed because he had a Sport's steering wheel fitted...(no light on) Just because that car was made to have an Airbag fitted to it......so i would ask before you go and wack one on :)

nothing on the car says it should have one...they were optional when mine was built,
though it maybe a different story now that most come with them as standard.

look what i've just found on rally nuts dedicated micra site. the 96-02 boss kit must be for an airbag equipped car as they came standard then.

Attachments

• hub1.GIF
    hub1.GIF
    53 KB · Views: 257
sorry to bring back a thread from the past, but the info in here is brilliant.

i have just fitted a steering wheel (rich brook's leather one for £89 halfords..lol_) and using a mountney steering wheel boss kit i managed to fit the wheel no probs, but there is now 4 wires just hanging loose behind the wheel, so what im gonna do is wire up a seperate switch for the horn and put it in the spare dash button location, and the air-bag light will just be removed,

but now whenever i turn the nissan imobiliser off the little red LED doesnt stop flashing, it flashes in short bursts of 4 flashes.

it then goes off after i turn the ignition on, but its a little dis-heartening when this happens. also what do i do with the old airbag?.... can i just bin it?

it then goes off after i turn the ignition on, but its a little dis-heartening when this happens. also what do i do with the old airbag?.... can i just bin it?

Ok this is where my sense of humour shows, blow it up. Not going to explain how as i dont to be responsible lol. Based on the fact that you can no i wouldnt bin it.

Back