F1 Season 2013

Harlen

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Supporter
So, Formula 1 is back on Friday for the Australian GP!

I'm a massive F1 fan and thought I'd better get a cheeky thread going for a bit of discussion between MSCers.

Here's a run down of the drivers and teams this year, straight from Wikipedia, so you don't have too. Eagle eyed readers will notice we're a team down this season, as HRT went bankrupt, leaving us with a 22 car grid. Info is from F1 Fanatic

Red Bull

Engines: Renault
1. Sebastian Vettel (Has contract)
2. Mark Webber (Has contract)
Test and reserve drivers
Sebastien Buemi

Ferrari

Engines: Ferrari
3. Fernando Alonso (Has contract)
4. Felipe Massa (Has contract)
Test and reserve drivers
Marc Gene
Pedro de la Rosa

McLaren

Engines: Mercedes
5. Jenson Button (Has contract)
6. Sergio Perez (Has contract)
Test and reserve drivers
Gary Paffett
Oliver Turvey

Lotus

7. Kimi Raikkonen (Has contract)
8. Romain Grosjean (Has contract)
Test and reserve drivers
Davide Valsecchi
Jerome D’Ambrosio
Nicolas Prost

Mercedes

9. Nico Rosberg (Has contract)
10. Lewis Hamilton (Has contract)
Test and reserve drivers
TBC

Sauber

11. Nico Hulkenberg (Has contract)
12. Esteban Gutierrez (Has contract)
Test and reserve drivers
Robin Frijns

Force India

14. Paul di Resta (Has contract)
15. Adrian Sutil (Has contract)
Test and reserve drivers
TBC

Williams

16. Pastor Maldonado (Has contract)
17. Valtteri Bottas (Has contract)
Test and reserve drivers
TBC

Toro Rosso

18. Jean-Eric Vergne (Has contract)
19. Daniel Ricciardo (Has contract)
Test and reserve drivers
TBC

Caterham

20. Charles Pic (Has contract)
21. Giedo van der Garde (Has contract)
Test and reserve drivers
Alexander Rossi
Ma Qing Hua

Marussia

Engines: Cosworth
22. Jules Bianchi (Has contract)
23. Max Chilton (Has contract)
Test and reserve drivers
TBC

Not too much has changed this season before the big change up next season, however there have been a few interesting driver moves (such as Lewis Hamilton to Merc) and slight rule changes too (no more unlimited DRS during qualifying - hinders Red Bull massively) which are going to mix it up a little and reset the balance we saw at the beginning of last season.

It's definitely anyone's game, I couldn't predict the drivers championship this year. I'm rooting for Alonso at Ferrari for the championship, but my main team is Lotus, so if they're showing good pace I'll be rooting for them over Ferrari.

Anyway, let's get started, discussion, predictions, excitement!

OP
OP
Harlen

Harlen

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Supporter
Not an F1 fan, NASCAR All the way! :)

I've got a mate who's always arguing that NASCARs better than F1. Hell, when I left my facebook open one time, he didn't make outlandish claims against my sexuality, he simply posted "I've seen the light, NASCAR is better than F1". The bastard.

Give the first GP a watch, should be good fun. And there's no harm in liking both!

I think Hamilton switched teams so that he didn't have to do that stupid new santander advert :p

ETA: My neihbours son is the spitting image of Vettel
...He went on a trip to the USA last Summer and was mobbed in a pub by some guys trying to talk to him in German LOL

OP
OP
Harlen

Harlen

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Supporter
I as much as I like button, as soon as I open a door and he is standing there, I just want to punch him. ;) WA-POW!

You can't forget the brilliant head and shoulders advert.

"What's on your mind Jenson?" :D

I love Jenson but he really can't act. They really do love having him endorse random crap though.

I like button...for other reasons :oops:

I've never really likes Hamilton as a personallity
...I think the fame he got in his, admittedly amazing, "rookie" season quickly went to his head <_<
...he seems to be better of late, more mature, but watching back footage of him talking from the 2010-11 season He talks like he's trying to be all american...is was annoying to me LOL

Favourite driver of recent seasons...gotta be Webber...such a Top bloke LOL

I like button...for other reasons :oops:

I've never really likes Hamilton as a personallity
...I think the fame he got in his, admittedly amazing, "rookie" season quickly went to his head <_<
...he seems to be better of late, more mature, but watching back footage of him talking from the 2010-11 season He talks like he's trying to be all american...is was annoying to me LOL

Favourite driver of recent seasons...gotta be Webber...such a Top bloke LOL
I hate Hamilton!

has there been any updates on how the team practices are going?...
Only thing I've heard was about Hamilton Crashing after 20 minutes :p

OP
OP
Harlen

Harlen

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Supporter
For me:

1. Alonso
2. Vettel
3. Kimi

I just can't see McLaren doing much this year unless they pull a Brawn and have a brilliant car that suits Jenson perfectly!

OP
OP
Harlen

Harlen

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Supporter
I greatly dislike Alonso..the guys needs a slap....and a haircut :p

Felt for him a lot in Brazil though

Fernando-Alonso-Ferrari_2856030.jpg

Easily hit his peak throughout last season but was beaten by finger boy Adrian Newey

I like Alonso, I think hes a great driver.

How i think it will end this year:
1. Vettle (again :rolleyes:)
2. Alonso
3. Button

Would love to see Kimi win another title again tho, he has to be my favorite driver of them all.

I think Vettel may get a 4th title this year, although Kimi could be one to watch out for as he was closing in on it towards the end of last season. For me F1 and BTCC are about equal in terms of 'watchability', now stock car racing, that's something I would love to see televised :D

Button/Hamilton/Vettel/Alonso/Kimi.. They will be leading from top 5 hopefully.

BTCC... BMW are so cool :) I do badly want to watch BTCC 2013 :(

I am big fan in any Motorsport :D

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
Couldn't give a rat's *** about F1 as it is now. The races are too driven by computer simulations these days instead of proper SOTP driver decision. The poor sportsmanship also disgusts me greatly.

I'll keep my eye open for the giant leap back in time when they start running V6 turbos again. It may make for an interesting few years while the teams sort out new technologies.

frank

Club Member
i,ve lost interest too, making throttle cables mandatory would bring some reality back into it, so that the driver determines how much power to apply (not the ecu)

SirChris

Educated Bodger
Load of poop. I think driver ability has been removed some what. Plus, when I watch one car over takes I'm a half an hour. Much rather be out I'm the shed building a track car.

Micra turbo... init

OP
OP
Harlen

Harlen

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Supporter
Let's keep it F1 related from here on chaps!

I think that the driver input has been improved from say, 2004. Definitely the fastest cars in F1 history but they were pumped up on traction control, abs, all kinds of computer driver aids.

Today we have slick tyres again and no more electronical aids - I have no idea about the throttle situation but I know that torque mapping is illegal and Red Bull were in trouble for it last year.

A lack of ABS also makes for some awesome looking lockups

Felipe+Massa+locks+up+a+wheel+during+qualifying

MaxK11C

Micraless
Social Brand Manager
I... Appreciate the technology in it. I do, honestly. It's a novelty though. You can prove you can build a racecar like that. Good on you. But I prefer the simpler stuff, because I'm a simpler person ;).

I think the only thing that would make F1 better, as it is now, would be if they started from the side of the track...ran out to the cars and then got going....like they did for so many races way back when ^_^ LOL

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
I think they should bring back fuel stops too, and make it less about the tyres / DRS etc and more about drivers ability. Still, I love F1 and all forms of racing. People that say F1 sucks, go Nascar etc are just lame. Enjoy all of it!

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
It's gone worse for Mclaren. Hamilton was likely to set a very fast time on the lap he came off. Looking forward to qualifying tomorrow but my money is on Vettel P1 and race win

Currently watching "motor racing at the BBC" on BBC 4...that's some scary sh...you know what!

they just showed a guy refuelling with one hand and puffing a cigar with the other :eek: