Expected BHP figure from a 1.3 Turbo

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Hello,

Just before people say it,no i'm not considering adding a turbo to my 1.3 (well...not JUST yet :()

I had a customer come into work today and we got chatting about Micras and i said i own a modified red k11. He then said hes got a K11 1.3 turbo,claiming to be pushing 190bhp.

I asked him how much its set him back for adding the conversion he said £1500. Also claims hes had 135mph out of it.

Now,i know i aint the most mechanically minded person in the world,but i sure know you cant get 190bhp out of a 1.3 T.

Unless some people know otherwise?

I reckon 190BHP is possible but i think unless he did everything himself (and i mean everything) £1500 is a load of cobblers.

its gonna cost you about that for an ecu, remap, turbo and forged internals... let alone anything else.

bearing in mind Nis managed 200+bhp from a highly strung CGa3DE.

would this be the guy who posted a thread up saying guess whats under the bonnet and you were able to see the intercooler?? that was red...and if he has got 190bhp from it and its only cost £1500 then he could make a business out of it :p

depends on size of turbo,he could have a huuge turbo but takes ages to spool up

if he has good fuelling,good internals and engine managing then why not

hes probably talking shizzle though

Point of reference, I made 190bhp @ 1.6 bar on a 0.9 litre engine...

James T made 200 bhp and 210lb/ft from a 1.4 K11 with pistons and rods at 1.0 bar. (stock cams/intake etc)

200bhp from a 1.3 is EASY with the right parts.

i agree but not for 1500

i reckon if you have the correct fuelling theres a good chance 190 is feesable at 1500, lets face it, a turbo and manifold is gunna set you back what??atleast 50-100 quid(get a metal fabricator to modify your existing manifold with a turbo flange,and a 2nd hand turbo,ie t25 off a saab)

good engine managemnt (dta) is gunna set you back 1000 fitted(there are others but dta is the only management i know the price of fitted off the top of my head)

without strengthening the internals 190 is possible,as probably one of the main reason for compnent failure is the fuelling/timing etc, not enough fuel then your gunna run rich and this is gunna fcuk your engine up in no time!!

i reckon if you have the correct fuelling theres a good chance 190 is feesable at 1500, lets face it, a turbo and manifold is gunna set you back what??atleast 50-100 quid(get a metal fabricator to modify your existing manifold with a turbo flange,and a 2nd hand turbo,ie t25 off a saab)

good engine managemnt (dta) is gunna set you back 1000 fitted(there are others but dta is the only management i know the price of fitted off the top of my head)

without strengthening the internals 190 is possible,as probably one of the main reason for compnent failure is the fuelling/timing etc, not enough fuel then your gunna run *rich* and this is gunna fcuk your engine up in no time!!

*lean*

Then you have to lower your compression ratio, fuel injectors, fuel pump and then there's how much power will the standard pistons and con-rods take.

once my car is done we will see how much power stock internals can take and at what boost. i do aim for 200bhp, and the cost for one attempt brand new parts is nothing like £1500, try double

Stani i own the red k11 with the intercooler you are reffering too. I never claimed anything like that. i hadnt had time to write a spec sheet at the time, that was all. atleast u got the colour right. . .

Stani i own the red k11 with the intercooler you are reffering too. I never claimed anything like that. i hadnt had time to write a spec sheet at the time, that was all. atleast u got the colour right. . .

so what is it then, a show intercooler? i wasnt being cheeky when i mentioned that it might have been you

At the moment its linked to nothing. Its mounted there as im slowly building a turbo setup and that was one thing i wanted to get mounted and done. It was part of the induction setup but not anymore. Hope that clears up your querries:p

Flat_out

Back