exhaust

warren

Club Member (Trial)
i want to put a big exhaust on my st but was wondering if it would make a difference if i got a weld on back box or is there a special exhaust that can be put on it, thanks

i want to put a big exhaust on my st but was wondering if it would make a difference if i got a weld on back box or is there a special exhaust that can be put on it, thanks

Standard will eventually rot of the car that why I got a full stainless steel one made!

Don't think you need back pressure on a turbo car,the quicker you can get the gasses out the better

Yeah you're all totally right, the general rule is that the bigger the exhaust the better as it allows the turbo to start spooling sooner. However under the advice of my mechanic (who has tuned some very amazing race cars and is considered something of an authority in Australia) I was told that due to the twin charge system I will still want to maintain some level of back pressure.

I am certainly no authority and have very limited mechanical knowledge but I would assume that being twin charged would mean that the way the turbo kicks in is slightly different to a normal turbod car as you already have the induction going before the turbo starts spooling, meaning it is more of a feed in style arrangement as opposed to wanting to dump exhaust gas quickly to get the turbo started in the first place. Like i say tho, I'm not mechanically minded enough to be making any arguments for or against I can only go by what others have told me. When I asked Ed about it a while back he said a 2" system and I got the impression my mechanic was looking at about the same size...but I will be getting him to do up my new exhaust in the next couple of months (will prolly book it in the next few weeks) and will gladly share with yas any advice he gives me about it. Until then I'm more than happy to take on any other opinions on the subject as I'm trying to learn as much as i can...but i do appreciate that with any standard turbo car the rule is "the bigger the better" and i understand why that is the case...just want to clarify that i'm not trying to argue with anyone who would most likely know more than I do...I'm just making the point that it isnt a standard turbo induction. cheers

Yeah you're all totally right, the general rule is that the bigger the exhaust the better as it allows the turbo to start spooling sooner. However under the advice of my mechanic (who has tuned some very amazing race cars and is considered something of an authority in Australia) I was told that due to the twin charge system I will still want to maintain some level of back pressure.

I am certainly no authority and have very limited mechanical knowledge but I would assume that being twin charged would mean that the way the turbo kicks in is slightly different to a normal turbod car as you already have the induction going before the turbo starts spooling, meaning it is more of a feed in style arrangement as opposed to wanting to dump exhaust gas quickly to get the turbo started in the first place. Like i say tho, I'm not mechanically minded enough to be making any arguments for or against I can only go by what others have told me. When I asked Ed about it a while back he said a 2" system and I got the impression my mechanic was looking at about the same size...but I will be getting him to do up my new exhaust in the next couple of months (will prolly book it in the next few weeks) and will gladly share with yas any advice he gives me about it. Until then I'm more than happy to take on any other opinions on the subject as I'm trying to learn as much as i can...but i do appreciate that with any standard turbo car the rule is "the bigger the better" and i understand why that is the case...just want to clarify that i'm not trying to argue with anyone who would most likely know more than I do...I'm just making the point that it isnt a standard turbo induction. cheers

My exhaust is done in 2" pipe work,Cool

My exhaust is done in 2" pipe work,Cool

Excellent.

I just wanted to make sure the original poster wasn't planning on going out and getting one of those massive systems like you see on skylines, supras or RX7s as it may not give as good a result as they were hoping for.

i think myself the bigger the system the more gas you can get out although i have heard lack of backpressure on turbo cars can damage the thrust bearing.
im goina take my chances anyway!! 2 1/2 inch side exit on the way!! 1 small box in the tunnel to sweeten the roar!!!

i have put the new back box on mine with a 3 1/2 inch tip and i can feel more power in the car now and sounds amazing

Back