Exhaust Middle section rusted & broke - < 12 months old?

Morning all, our K11 had a new middle section and back box in June last year. Thought I'd finished the 2018 shake down but drove it out and clunk! ... it has rusted though and snapped at the rear middle section end.

Luckily the back box was solid but was wandering why in under 12 months it had gone. I didn't see any bumps or bangs or dents (not to say there hasn't been but) and it sits at right level and rubber mounts are all present and in good shape.

It was a cheap one but less than 12 months? Any ideas why it might have gone?

Usually they last longer. Was probably faulty from the off. Do you do short journeys where it doesn't get the exhaust up to temp to get rid of the water inside.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Hi Agent_Smith, yes we do .... it spent the last year with very short trips and only once a month doing a longer run.

Think you on the money with that one. And even recent weeks working on the car, it's only been started and run on drive while meddling. Is not so bad when at least you know. Got one from ECP during a sale for 11 quid but of course also an evening's pain.

Cheers

Should you intend to keep & use the vehicle, may I suggest fitting known provenance good quality parts to do the job right first time & do it once?

Cheap & fake parts in this case may affect exhaust gas push/pull back pressure & therefore upset fuel economy & performance chacteristics.

Quality OEM standard exhausts have corrosion protection galvanise finish & condensates drain holes.

Reference: https://garagewire.co.uk/news/exhaust-drain-holes-help-prevent-corrosion-reports-bosal/

Good luck.

OP
OP
That's interesting stuff plmval and you absolutely right, the failed part was actually from a local budget fitter ... and no we didn't check the quality or build etc. And in fairness even the replaced quick fix was just picked up (on price) from ECP.

That link is interesting and will definitely be taking it up a notch going forward.

And yes the car with us for the duration. Reckon the wife will have 4 years with it unless it gets doled out to a more deserving case. At that point we will buy something new (is the plan) but even then this will be Grandson's first car to learn to drive in .... respray, shake up and on a new mission within the family. So definitely want to equip it for longevity rather than strict budget.

Many thanks for sending that, is very interesting and makes a good deal of sense.

OP
OP
Thanks for the positive feedback. (y)

No is first class knowledge plmval and appreciated, is why I really like this forum .... it has folks with solid ideas and directions that for me have absolutely worked, no doubt.

It's refreshing having looked at other car make forums were folks just seem to like making other folks feel bad or stupid about their questions. It's a go to for me .... thanks again.

I was recommended a klarius tail pipe backbox by someone on here. It was about £25 ona special day with eCP about 6 mths ago. Its been fine, the fitter said it was a mid market exhaust that should last 4 to 5 years years and its not very noisy. The gasket was about fiver. This one looks sort of aluminium or galvanised . Thee old one went where the steel pipe meets the backbox.

OP
OP
I was recommended a klarius tail pipe backbox by someone on here. It was about £25 ona special day with eCP about 6 mths ago. Its been fine, the fitter said it was a mid market exhaust that should last 4 to 5 years years and its not very noisy. The gasket was about fiver. This one looks sort of aluminium or galvanised . Thee old one went where the steel pipe meets the backbox.

Same here, at the rear box joint .... yes quality of exhaust sections definitely seem be way more important than I'd given consideration to. Many thanks for the steer