exhaust heat shield fell off...

Basically drove through some floods last night to get home - (we were directed along the stretch of road by Highways Agency/Water agency people) and when finally emerging from the other side the car was making an awful rattling when stationary - quick inspection and the heat shield inside/along the exhaust tunnel had come loose. Closer inspection this morning and its pulled all the bolts/washers off the underside (the bolt heads that are left sticking through look pretty rusty and minging anyway so probably a matter of time). I assume i can't just pull it out and forget about it and its going to need replacing. I imagine I'll have to take a lot of KY with me if I go to out our local Nissan dealer to get it sorted as it looks like it might need the back section of the exhaust taking off for proper access... Is there any other options or replacement/flexible material that I can attach instead without the need to potentially remove the exhaust? I've managed to cable tie it up and out of the way so it doesn't catch on our driveway/speed bumps for the time being. I'm going to ring around a few places when I get to work to get some quotes but if theres a DIY solution that'd be much better!!

Thanks,

D.

this is very common. from my experience there is no need for replacing. I had 3 micra all off them at some point had the heat shield without issues

this is very common. from my experience there is no need for replacing. I had 3 micra all off them at some point had the heat shield without issues
That makes life easy thanks - I'll rip it off when I get home. a chap on another forum suggested some Zircotec self-adhesive heat wrap which will attach to the inside of the tunnel which i'll look into in the future but for now i'll get the mole-grips out and give it a good tug..

yup same i just took mine off one time cause it use to rattle it will make no diff man:)

Even going hell for leather on a track day with a catalyst fitted gives no issues with regard to heat transmission.

Different story in the Jag however.....on a hot day, it can get pretty darn toasty as a passenger :rolleyes:

I'll yank the rest of it off when I get home then (to be fair most of it seems to be off now already - just went to one of our sites which is flooded and backed into a field gateway forgetting it was hanging lower than usual - queue scretching/rattling noise and a lump of it left on the gateway...

Thanks for the quick replies guys!!

Here is a tip - after you take the shields off, go for a drive through heavy traffic - if you smell burning, your feet are getting hot, there is smoke in the cab or people are pointing at your car more than usual - it is a K12 after all- them perhaps they would be better put back on. Also, I wonder what the ignition temperature of the plastic fuel tank is?

Here is a tip - after you take the shields off, go for a drive through heavy traffic - if you smell burning, your feet are getting hot, there is smoke in the cab or people are pointing at your car more than usual - it is a K12 after all- them perhaps they would be better put back on. Also, I wonder what the ignition temperature of the plastic fuel tank is?

Fortunately its only the middle section that's come off so the tank isn't exposed to the exhaust. Surely they wouldn't leave a plastic tank hung under the car with no protection from general debris anyway...?

Back