Exhaust cover replace - oil change

There is a piece of metal protecting the exhaust where is at the lowest point.
I hit a curb and damaged it, the garage wants to replace the whole part, but the exhaust is fine, its just the cover that is damaged.
Can I buy that cover independently and fit it to protect the exhaust pipe?

How often do people change their oil? I use the K12 mostly for short trips of less than 20min

Thanks

OP
OP
T
The mechanic removed this cover, which was loose, not sure if this was a good idea. He said it wasn't needed, does anyone know if it is?

thanks

Some run without the heatshield. I looked at mine yesterday and can't see one. I'm sure its not essential. Although I'd still rather have one installed for obvious reasons. Such as it shield the exhausts heat away from the engine bay.
Also wanting to know about what type of oil to use here in UK. For longetivity only do short door to door runs here as well so nothing expensive or flashy would be required.Type of oil meaning most compatible ect.

I read the other day if one use synthetic. From the start or non synthetic. That its recommended to replace with same.Not sure how true or false that may be or what type has been used in the past.
My first thought was to grab some Semi synthetic since its reasonably priced.
Going to wait until its needed I think.

Oil should be changed every 9k miles/12 months for early models or every 12k miles/12 months for later models with the increased sump capacity.
However it is recommended that oil and filter are changed more frequently. Especially if the car is used mainly for short journeys.

Sent from my ASUS_T00P using Micra Sports Club mobile app

OP
OP
T
Interesting, I generally change oil every year, as I only do short journeys and a few thousand miles per year.
This has worked fine for 2 Micras over 5 years.

The metal was between the road and the exhaust, not the exhaust and the engine so don't think it was heat protecting, probably road protecting.

Thanks

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
Interesting, I generally change oil every year, as I only do short journeys and a few thousand miles per year.
This has worked fine for 2 Micras over 5 years.

The metal was between the road and the exhaust, not the exhaust and the engine so don't think it was heat protecting, probably road protecting.

Thanks
On the K12 the down pipe heat shield (from the Cat back) is actually right around the pipe and is welded at the front and the back ends. The spot welds usually fail just after the Cat, at the front, as that is the area of most heat (and water splash there causes corrosion) , and they rattle like hell. Mine is clamped there now with a damned great 'U bolt' exhaust clamp. Will get a picture later ...... The front heat shield, under the bonnet, is over the exhaust manifold and hangs down to cover the cat, and is secured by a few M6 bolts to bosses on the front of the manifold.....