Excessive heat bleeding through the air con unit

I've just recently noticed whilst driving out and about one day that even though the air conditioning is off, there is heat coming through the ac grilles. I'm assuming this is coming from the engine as the air con unit runs through the engine bay (obviously) and I figured it's possible that the heat from the engine is seeping through into the air con unit.

Is this just standard and I've only just noticed it or is it just something that can happen without any repercussions? Because if the engine is producing as much heat as it is currently and it's not supposed to, I may have an overheating problem ......

Ok more technical answer
Either your compressor isn't engaging
Or
You've run out of refrigerant
Or the fancy door systen that blends the AC air to your blower system isnt functionig properly

To test the compressor. Fordt locate it. Start tye engine and watch the pulley. Then switch on your ac.. again look at the pulley and see if it has engaged.
If it doesn't you can jump it directly from the battery.. if you jump it and it runs the its an electromagnetic clutch problem on the pulley
Look at the charge point on the ac piping. Remove screw cap and push the valve pin. Just like a tyre valve. If a gas is released under pressure its charged

pardon the stupidity haha :p but is the compressor the cylindrical metal case with what looks like an electrical coil inside it, or is that something else?

Presumably the compressor is on a different timing belt to the cam belt, which i can see running from the alternator down the left hand side of the engine ........

It will be on an auxiliary belt :) usually they're under the alternator

Is there a difference from when the ac button is on and when its off

There should be a difference. You can use a jump lead to put power to the compressor and bypass the pulley. And test it then

hmm it doesnt affect the ac at all when its running, just when it isnt ...... the alternator pretty much covers where the compressor should be so its difficult to get to, but the drive wheel on the compressor looks as if its turning

Aye it will be turning it can't just stop :p... when the ac is turned on an electrical clutch engages the compressor

Correct it may not be. After regassing thats the 2nd cheapest bit to replace.
If its your HVAC (sp?) unit then that's a 2 day job to replace..

Wow ........ how can I tell if the compressor isn't engaging apart from looking at the pulley system? I've looked at the cam belt and the auxilliary belt and both are turning, and it looks as though the pulley on the compressor is turning as well if it is in that chain of pulley systems on the left of the engine

It will be there turning. The only other way to tell is run a wire directly from the battery... if then the air blows cold its your pulley at fault. If still no cold air its the compressor unit

Is the fan off? If so heat can seep up from the heater matrix.
Is it set to fresh or recirculation? Recirculating is always warmer than fresh

It sounds like (without actually having it to look at) just heap from the matrix seeping up and nothing to be concerned about

Its like a small radiator that the hot coolant goes through.. the fan blows air through it. And subsequently warms the air and car :)

No not at all. If the temperature gauge is in its normal position I see no reason why it would be overheating

Awesome, better safe than sorry really .... i figured the engine might have been working too hard or something .....

Know anything about oil breathers? hahaha just trying to figure this the heck out

Back