Everything Turbo - 1.0l or 1.3l hard decision

Hi guys,
been debating for a while weather to build a turbo micra or just to buy a turbo car, i have come to the decision of wanting to take the micra route purely for the reason mate idiots in my town rip me for having a micra and would like to see there face when i have finished building her , i currently own a 1.0l k11 and it has couple of issue's but nothing that £50 wouldn't sort out.
1st question - do i keep my car and start the build on that, or do i buy a 1.3 and sell mine but risk getting problems with the new car when mines seems ok at the minute.
2nd question - i am using as an everyday car so need to have the full turbo setup and pay someone to fit within a couple of days if possible

If i was to stay with the 1.0 what would people suggest for the turbo set-up - brakes will be getting upgraded aswell as other little bits, why would people choose a 1.3 if not the 1.0 and cost wise for the turbo set-up on both a 1.3 and 1.0
have looked through a lost of threads but can't find a thread where everything is listed in one.

All help and names to shops that deal in tuning micra's is much appreciated - looking to start building in september and working on the car over the next year or so hopefully.

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Here's ab extremely brief list to give you an idea
First you need a turbo. Something small like a gt15 and everything for that. Oil lines. Charge pipes. Custom manifold and exhaust to attach to the turbo
Most go 1.3 because its a bigger engine... you get more power from a larger capacity engine to coin the phrase "there's no replacement for displacement". You'll need to look into a better head gasket. It appears a twin headgasket works well
Then you need to look at ignition. Like a magejolt system or nistune for example
Next up fueling. You'll need larger injectors and probably a better pump to deal with the new stress
You'll need a decent clutch again the trend seems to be LUK clutches they handle the boosted micras well
Cooling a turbo micra will require a thicker or bigger radiator so you'll need to look into that
After go fast parts you need stop faster parts. Almera calipers and discs go well on k11 hubs iirc or a custom gti-r setup but that's a tad overkill
I've missed loads but there's your starting list

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
Here's ab extremely brief list to give you an idea
First you need a turbo. Something small like a gt15 and everything for that. Oil lines. Charge pipes. Custom manifold and exhaust to attach to the turbo
Most go 1.3 because its a bigger engine... you get more power from a larger capacity engine to coin the phrase "there's no replacement for displacement". You'll need to look into a better head gasket. It appears a twin headgasket works well
Then you need to look at ignition. Like a magejolt system or nistune for example
Next up fueling. You'll need larger injectors and probably a better pump to deal with the new stress
You'll need a decent clutch again the trend seems to be LUK clutches they handle the boosted micras well
Cooling a turbo micra will require a thicker or bigger radiator so you'll need to look into that
After go fast parts you need stop faster parts. Almera calipers and discs go well on k11 hubs iirc or a custom gti-r setup but that's a tad overkill
I've missed loads but there's your starting list
Radiator for an automatic micra is a direct fit but much wider for better cooling, 1.3 pistons will reduce compression iirc, and a 1ltr gearbox is limited to the size clutch you can fit that limits power. Not seen a 1ltr turbo though, so if you want to be different...

frank

Club Member
a high revving CG10+t would be interesting :cool: but as usual, everything would have to be custom built tho (there are no micra tuning shops :) )

OP
OP
MicraME
im stuck with what to do, do i risk putting money into the 1.0 and failing or go straight onto the 1.3 knowing it is possible to turbo them, admire the work of stani and everyone that has helped him would love if i could get something running close to it, thanks for all the input

OP
OP
MicraME
with the 1.0ltr being a smaller engine though would the engine handle the extra boost and stress which the turbo would produce

h701micra

Deactivated Account
I'd love to answer backed up with knowledge. But you'll need frank, polly or stani etc. Iirc the blocks are the same but the crank that's different and pistons

Stani1029

Club Member
Micra.jas fitted 1.3 pistons to his cg10 and ran a turbo at 120bhp if i remember correctly. But for me the cg13 gives more power for that extra bit of cash so always a no brainer

I would just keep a 1.3 engine turbo that and keep boost to 8psi and if you wana go 1.0 turbo you can have 1.3 pistons in. And upgrade the internal parts from cg13de,

Stani1029

Club Member
I would just keep a 1.3 engine turbo that and keep boost to 8psi and if you wana go 1.0 turbo you can have 1.3 pistons in. And upgrade the internal parts from cg13de,

Err upgrading a cg10 with cg13 internal parts is making it a cg13 lol instead of stripping 2 engines just fit the cg13

pollyp

Club Member
Very frequent eh paul :p

the more the better for a new engine (especially since its the only last ever chance at making the forged engine work), gets rid of the debris. only hurts abit of the wallet but tbh only costs a fraction compared to a rebuild.

pollyp

Club Member
from a 1.3 I dunno cos never tried but think I heard of a members facelift 1.4 running over 200bhp then snapping shafts.

I'm keeping mine realistically sensible & reliable cos its my only daily car.

OP
OP
MicraME
from a 1.3 I dunno cos never tried but think I heard of a members facelift 1.4 running over 200bhp then snapping shafts.

I'm keeping mine realistically sensible & reliable cos its my only daily car.

i will be using mine as an everyday car so need it to have reliability, not sure weather to spend mega money or keep it to a £2000 budget build

frank

Club Member
i will be using mine as an everyday car so need it to have reliability, not sure weather to spend mega money or keep it to a £2000 budget build
unless you do a lot of diy, it,ll be a moneypit tbh, it,ll be difficult to sell when you want to move on, and most members end up breaking the car to try and get some money back :)

OP
OP
MicraME
i don't mind it being a money pit aslong as it pays off and runs, i have seen a friend pile over £5000 into his glanza and he still hasn't got it running properly, i don't wont to pile money into if it doesn't run properly, have people managed to build a micra with a turbo that isn't going to blow the engine every time you take it out, i am not looking to build the world's fastest micra i'd be happy if it was running 135bhp and it could handle a bit of abuse once a week

unless you do a lot of diy, it,ll be a moneypit tbh, it,ll be difficult to sell when you want to move on, and most members end up breaking the car to try and get some money back :)

most people don't seem to think about this when they embark on a turbo build

i don't mind it being a money pit aslong as it pays off and runs, i have seen a friend pile over £5000 into his glanza and he still hasn't got it running properly, i don't wont to pile money into if it doesn't run properly, have people managed to build a micra with a turbo that isn't going to blow the engine every time you take it out, i am not looking to build the world's fastest micra i'd be happy if it was running 135bhp and it could handle a bit of abuse once a week

this is doable as long as you don't cut corners and plan it properly

OP
OP
MicraME
i want to build the car over a year maybe year and half and run the 1.0ltr micra i have at the minute keep a 1.3 stored somewhere and do bits slowly but properly i don't mind bringing outside people in and paying labour costs as long as i no at the end the car is going to run, even if any of the guys who have built turbo before can offer custom parts i am willing to buy what i need. i am starting the build in september but i want to build a good knowledge up for when i start on the build

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Get on franks and pollys turbo build blogs. Very thorough
Disclaimer: I apologise to other turbo peeps I haven't mentioned

I will keep it to 140 bhp then I want it to run and drive without breaking tbh. I love to build the micra turbo only if I was local

best to research get a good understanding of everything you need and ask questions if you don't understand something :), theres a lot of info here and on other sites that'll keep you occupied for a long time before you start building you turbo project.

pollyp

Club Member

after years of trial and error strengthening the weak bits progressively, I think I'm close to a reasonably reliable daily turbo with occasional track use, for now.

the more you push things beyond intention, the closer it gets to failure point