EPS Power steering column, what ACTUALLY goes wrong?

What car you driving then?
I stick with basic K11s, now on my third Shape/Equation bought 4 years ago, a 1998 1300cc on 48K with no P/S, ABS, central locking or sunroof & no problems!

In its 23rd year, the less superfluous non-essential marketing sales gimmicks tat, the less there is to go wrong & fail the MOT unnecessarily.

Rule thumb apply the KISS factor in action for cheap as chips old banger motoring that just keeps going with no unnecessary expenses & simply avoid the troublesome Renault equipped K12, K13. & K14 masquerading with badges engineered by Nissan.

I just put petrol in the back & myself & the Mrs in the front out & about when the Sun is out, having fun doing whatever we like without wasting my time working on the tin box on wheels.

Happy K11 days, long may they continue. :)

Last edited:

huttojb

Club Member
EPS System Guru
I stick with basic K11s, now on my third Shape/Equation bought 4 years ago, a 1998 1300cc on 48K with no P/S, ABS, central locking or sunroof & no problems!
I do not own a MIcra personally but I do understand everyone’s frustration. I do like my luxury. I drive a Merc C300 2020 plate as my daily drive

DA2CF04F-4279-48FA-9D09-96F274EF8F7C.jpeg

But I also own this.....

905B5076-D993-4D80-AA6D-86DAE932F4FF.jpeg 99B26339-FD5D-4496-8955-B64179505690.jpeg

I do not own a MIcra personally but I do understand everyone’s frustration. I do like my luxury. I drive a Merc C300 2020 plate as my daily drive

View attachment 71103

But I also own this.....

View attachment 71102 View attachment 71101

Needless to say, I am no longer inspired by tin boxes on wheels & just want something cheap as chips & not wasting any unnecessary resources on it that just keeps going, does the job for me.

In the early 90s, I ran a W124 series 230TE at 8 years old & 80K & during 6 years use the following failures included ABS, electric sunroof, drivers electric window regulator, cabin duel heater temperature controls, open circuit lamps monitoring module, excess engine oil consumption & a parasitic battery drain. That’s just the issues I remember from 25 years ago
I was into industrial process controls electronics/electrics & therefore DIY maintenance at marginal costs but wasted more time investigating, testing & working around these issues then on any other of my numerous vehicles in 46 years of driving.

Commercial awareness applied the Kiss factor subsequently as it ever was.

I think there was a point mid 90's when the car's peaked. Just the right balance of electronics without all the later canbus nonsense.

The old carbs and points may be simple, but there is a lot less work to maintain with more standalone fuel injection and ecu.

I would just like to publicly thank @huttojb , this guy is a genuine not for profit rare gem of a chap, I drove 360 miles round trip and he helped me out big time, he saved me a fortune and I can only praise this guy!
thanks very much for today and to any forum members who think he is some kind of fraud I can catoguarly tell you he is a genuine person who is doing a lot to help , and has helped me today, also he saved me a small fortune,
THANKS VERY MUCH @huttojb really appreciate it indeed !!!!

EU pressure forced manufacturers to alter the cars safety and emissions, the newer the car the more electronic spaghetti we encounter, I have a Suzy Ignis as my runabout from 2000, brilliant engine no trouble apart from usual brake and suspension replacements.
Did you know that Insurance companies are gearing up to scrap the newer cars with LED lights as these are fixed units and can cost around £680 apiece to replace!!!! so avoid new and keep the old timers running if we can still get the parts.:unsure:

I never need parts running K10 & K11s since 1997 & in 23 years nothing ever goes wrong, treat it right & it looks after you.

It only gets minimal basic DIY annual servicing & consumable parts only for long term durable reliable cheap as chips motoring.

If it aint broke, don’t mess about with it & it just keeps going. Nissan got the K10 & K11 right first time right from the get go.

I put petrol in the back, the Mrs & me in the front, out & about when the Sun is out having fun doing whatever makes us happy.

That’s what it was built for. :)

@huttojb
Hi Jason,
The EPS on my girlfriend's K12 1.4 went a few weeks ago. Bought a second hand unit from a scrap yard. We had this fitted the other day but now the engine won't start. When being towed, it feels like the power steering is working. I presume this is to do with the second hand unit being married to another car? Please can you advise what is best to do. Second hand unit is currently fitted, however we also have the broken unit in the boot.

Many thanks,
James

@huttojb

St Jason of the Micra Sports Club, giving up his time and knowledge to help strangers again.

For he's a jolly good fellow, for he's a jolly good fellow
For he's a jolly good fellow (pause), which nobody can deny
Which nobody can deny, which nobody can deny

huttojb

Club Member
EPS System Guru
Lol @Micratec, @jamesmbrooks actually toed the car all the way to Birmingham, must of been a scary drive, no ignition, no breaks, no steering!!! Omg, he was brave. At least he was able to drive home safely.

Hi

This is my first time on this site and so my first post , hope I’m doing it right. I’ve read a few threads about the issue with the power steering. My daughter has an 05 plate Micra and 2 years ago I paid over £300 to have a reconditioned steering column and kit to be fitted , this week the PS light has come on and my daughter had to be towed back ,because she’s been at Uni until now she’s only done 3000 miles in it since having the column replaced, it seems that Jason ( Hottojb) is the guru hear 😊.I’m completely useless when it comes to cars so asking for advice on what to do , the good need is that I live very close to Birmingham so wondering if you could advise please Jason . Many thanks , hope I’ve done this correctly

huttojb

Club Member
EPS System Guru
Hey @Robbo999967. I think I gave my opinion on reconditioned units and my suspicions on what they do previously. It is very poor and you have probably purchase a previous faulty unit where they have changed common component not actually knowing the real reason of failure, cleared the fault, lost straight ahead positioning (possible pulling or not returning to centre with great power), lost calibration because they removed and replaced OR reprogrammed the NVM with another one. The list of poor processes go on.
I’ll drop you an private message with my address and you can come and I can look at it for you.
Jason.

Hey @Robbo999967. I think I gave my opinion on reconditioned units and my suspicions on what they do previously. It is very poor and you have probably purchase a previous faulty unit where they have changed common component not actually knowing the real reason of failure, cleared the fault, lost straight ahead positioning (possible pulling or not returning to centre with great power), lost calibration because they removed and replaced OR reprogrammed the NVM with another one. The list of poor processes go on.
I’ll drop you an private message with my address and you can come and I can look at it for you.
Jason.

Jason, my daugther bought a 1.0S Mar 05 Micra 55k miles, a month ago which was sitting on the driveway until passing her driving test and took it out today to get some tyres and on the way back the PS fault light came on and steering heavy. No issues before when I drove it. Can you help?

huttojb

Club Member
EPS System Guru
Unable to pop over to have a look, there’s some water in the way.
usually the PS Light is self contained in the eps. Not sure why a large none use time will attribute to eps failure, unless there is damp in the car.
have you tried to clear the fault and does it come back.
the fuse ‘crap’ is that, don’t worry about that, never heard of the 70amp fuse having an issue. Do not put WD40 on the unit as it will leak into the optical sensor and you’ll have a dead unit!