Engine warning light flashes/car won't start

Hi - new here, hope you guys can help. First off, another post similar to mine said something about ECU problems but I don't even know what the ECU is - or where it is - so apologies if this post is repeating an earlier topic.

Basically, I've got a micra 1.3 R reg that I love to bits - just need to know if, given she's done 125k and has a few dents and scratches, my problem will cost much to fix? A few weeks back the water pump sprang a leak (i'm assuming it's that and nothing worse - water was peeing out the LH side as soon as I filled the rad, plus there was an awful noise coming from under the bonnet - about where the WP is. I ordered a new pump, but a couple of times the car overheated and the yellow 'check engine' light came on - it stayed on for a bit but then seemed to sort itself and go back off. Car was running ok so, as I'm looking to replace next spring I left it at that and just made sure I only did short, local journeys.

On Sunday I took her for a short trip and she was fine. When I went to start her up, the engine turned fine but wouldn't start - like it's out of gas. I then saw that - gulp! - the yellow check engine light has come on and is flashing. It's doing this the moment ignition is on.

I went back to the car yesterday with the spare key, as the RAC forum said it could be the engine imobiliser and a different key might fix it - it didn't, but also the battery ran flat very quickly. The 2 red lights are still blinking which means the immobiliser is still working, but is this an immobiliser fault or something else - perhaps more serious? The battery has never gone flat just by standing for a couple of days before, which makes me wonder if it could be an alternator problem, or if the water leak has caused something to short out.

I've got Green Flag and am calling them out tomorrow when I can get back to the car. just need to know if this will be a roadside repair, or if I've got a big bill looming. This has come out of the blue - never happened before on any of the cars I've owned. Hope you can help. Sue X

esha

Ex. Club Member
Needs to be put through a diagnostic test really, either that or the green flag guy will be able to find the problem, then youll have a better idea of what parts (if any) youll need. As for the battery, how many times did you try and start the car, battery could have been drained by that, and is it an old battery? right time of year for a battery to croak.