Engine warning light and limited revs

I've a 2003 Micra K12 40,000 miles. The engine warning light is on. When starting from cold it runs OK, but as it warms up it runs progressively worse.
When warm the revs are limited to about 2500, and above that it cuts out.

Any ideas anyone?

frank

Club Member
henry9090

maybe a sensor has died and its in limp home mode
if you get it diagnosed for the fault codes it will shed some light !

Thanks, Frank.

I took it to a Nissan dealer and he charged me EUR 95 to tell me the following (verbatim):

CHECKED CAR ON NISSAN CONSULT, TWO TROUBLE CODES WITH ENGINE ECU, FAULT WITH CRANK SENSOR AND VVT SENSOR, CHECKED VVT READING ON CONSULT AND IS READING -16 DEGREES. NEEDS NEW CHAIN.

He has quoted EUR 850 to fit a new timing chain.

I was about to tell him to go ahead and asked him "are you 100% sure it's the chain?" at which point he got really stroppy that I would question his judgement so I told him to wrap it up and I'll take it elsewhere.

1. Do you agree with his assessment?
2. Can an ordinary mechanic do this, or does he need fancy tools only a Nissan dealer would have?

I'm baulking very badly at this - a 2003 car with 40,000 miles shouldn't need a timing chain!

Thoughts welcome.

ollie240585

Ex. Club Member
I have read this happen a few times. It does appear to be a common faul on the K12s but many people here have been quoted in excess of £1000! So your 850 EUR sounds like a much better deal!

Looks like I'll have to fork out the dough then.

Given that these K12s are only 4 years old now and the timing chains are failing, it sounds like they're going to give a lot of problems going forwards. I suggest we all get rid of them before the word gets out.

I haven't had a problem anything like this for about 25 years, when I used to drive around in scrap. It's the last Nissan that I'll have around me.

(BTW - this is my daughter's car, so no jokes about still driving scrap).