Engine swop Q's...

S

Stevo11

Hi,

The engine in my 1lt '97 K11 died a few months back, I've sourced a used engine and need to swop it in this weekend. Prob is .. I've no Haynes manual, so am kinda working blind...
Any hints/tips for me?
I'm assuming that it should be easy enough by doing the following.. :

1)Drain fluids

2)Remove Rad/battery/airbox/intake manifold/belts+altenator/exhaust manifold/wiring (temp sensor, dizzy stuff, cam/crank angle sensor wiring). Will I need to just detatch the gearbox or will the oil need to be drained from this too? Am thinking I won't have to drain it..

3) thinking I'll put a sheet of wood under the car and drop the engine down onto it.. is this just a matter of removing the exhaust, putting a jack under the pan + unbolting engine mounts? Then manouvering the engine so that it can be dropped/lowered onto the wood? Plan is to then jack/lift the car up high enough to pull the engine out.. (any more clearance gained from removing the front bumper?). Reason for dropping is that my back ain't the best at the mo, so don't think I'll be able to lift it out even if its stripped..(altho I was able to lift the new engine out of the boot of another car with help from a buddy when it arrived..)

4) do the opposite of 3) and jack engine up into the engine bay.
5) reattach everything + fill with coolant + oil
6) set timing (is there a how-to?)

Any help appreciated!!!!
Steve

re # 2) after doing a bit of reading on the forum, I see that its easier to drop the gearbox + engine together.

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
if i was you, i'd remove the gearbox. it makes it much easier to get the engine in and out. and i'd drain the g/box oil aswell if not it'll drain if you remove the driveshafts.
take the bumper off as it'll give you slightly more clearance, when you do, check condition of front cross-member, if it's knackered and full of rot, then now is a good time to change it cos if it's removed, you'll not have to jack car up unbelievably high to get engine out. so you'll be able to lower both engine and box together.