• This is an archive of the old Blogs system from the previous software. If you would like your blog entries moving/merging into the relevant forum/thread, please PM James. These blogs are READ ONLY. Replies CANNOT be made.

Engine swap issues...

Right, have successfully swapped the 998cc unit with the 1275 unit, but run into a bit of a snag...

1) The gearbox has a hose coming off but I have no idea where it connects too - any ideas?..

2) The 1.3 engine has an extra sensor on the block on the side where the thermostat and ignition pack sit. It's whit in colour and has two outlets... one seems to head towards the inlet manifold but is connected with a Y piece and there is a seperate hose coming off... any ideas where this goes??

Photos of the whole swap will be online soon :)

frank

Club Member
the pipe is just a breather MM, and the plastic valve is only for the carbon canister (it open when the engine is warm and burns off any captured vapours)

OP
OP
moleymolo
Ok, so I don't need to worry about the white sensor looking thing?

Any ideas on why we aren't getting spark? In theory by using all the electrics/wiring that were in the car, it should work... Hmm...

OP
OP
moleymolo
Same ecu as well I might add, but have been told by someone locally who has done one that the ecu doesn't really matter for such a small cc gain.

OP
OP
moleymolo
1311?? Eh :eek:

We found the problem to be the wiring on the small connector on the coil/dizzy. Should read 12amps but only read 6amps and 0amps. So... Bit of re-wiring needed to make it run and make it safe. Luckily it's got a kill-switch so going to route the new wiring/fuse via the killswitch connection.

Basically you turn the ignition on and starts/runs... but turn the key off and it's still running...:wasntme:

frank

Club Member
thats probably the alternator feeding the engine even tho the ign is off mate.
and 1348 cga crank, with 1.0 block and pistons :)

OP
OP
moleymolo
Not too bothered at the minte.. just glad it fires up :p

And never seen that combo before... 1.0 rods or 1.3 rods?

OP
OP
moleymolo
Well don't I feel like a prize t!t..

Was clearing up and just tidying things and ion the process I started stripping the old wiring loom from the replacement engine and noticed something odd... Think you can guess where this is going..

Yep, the connector that we connected to the coil was in fact the connector for the sensor that plugs in the engine about 2 inches lower down... So yeah, p[retty bummed but at least our new wiring works! Just got to put it back to normal now via some quality soldering in situ... :blush::blush: