Engine Mods

L

littlemisspvc

I know I asked this on the old forum but the answer disappeared before I had a chance to get anything sorted. I have had a good read of a couple of threads on here about mods for the engine and I think I am now getting the general idea of what I should be looking for. But I am here to double check as I want to start the ball rolling next month with my car.

So, I have a 'T' (1999) 1.3 micra. Only mods so far are tinted windows :)

On a budget of £500 what exactly would you do for extra power (without suddenly making the car eat petrol)?

Also if I was to stretch the budget to £700 would it make a huge difference?

Next question, my partner is looking at superchargers for his car (MR2) and is going to get one of these: http://www.electricsupercharger.com/eram2.php He keeps saying I should get one too. But would it be ok in a micra?

Cheers.

an induction kit and a remap of the ECU plus maybe an SFE Vavle (i think that's right)

with that lot you will feel a huge diffence for a small price, probably under £500,

also if you can, get lighter stuff like a new battey or lighter wheels etc,

Have Fun :)

PS i don't know anything about SCs or MR2s ;)

You forgot mainfold, de-cat, the whole thing really, full exhaust system, janspeed or mainflow. The powerboost valve you mentioned wont make any diffrents if you dont have the exhaust system and coulpe of other things.

yes very good point, i forgot the extractors :)

that would be pretty much the best you're gonna get without going to forced induction :)

whats forced induction?

And JayY, what 'couple of other things' do you mean?

Forced induction = turbo or supercharger. As I understand it, the power boost valve ups your fuel pressure so you only really need it if you've done something like uprate your injectors and/or you've got a lot more air going into your engine.

Would go with the other guys on mods, maybe look into bigger injectors, don't know what exactly is involved/how much it would be...

i think what they are saying is the best bang for your buck mod for a mild tuned 1.3 is a full exhaust system, comprising of: 4-2-1 manifold, de-cat, centre section and b-box.

that and an appropriate airfilter, k&n panel replacement of cone filter, and the couple of other bits will be new HT leads and some new plugs

and forced inductiuon is using either a supercharger or a turbocharger add power to your engine

Thanks Davey - nicely explained for simple old me :)

Cheers guys, now off to see a mechanic..

good luck, extractors are going to be the most difficult cos your car's gonna have to be off the road for a while where as and duction kit can be fitted in a couple of minutes :)

remember.... Have Fun :laugh:

Back