Engine management light

Got a 1.5dci k12. When I start the car up and drive for about 10 mins or so everything is fine, I can put the accelerator down quite hard and it will pull quite well. But then after that if I do the same the red engine management light comes on the dashboard and a message on the radio display saying engine system fault if I ease off the accelerator the light turns off.

It will only let me get up to about 3000rpm then it won't go past that and stays at that speed, then the light comes on. Any ideas Thanks Stu?

Sounds like the "limp mode" that some cars have, something's broken and the car is stopping you driving it in a way that could break it more

Given that it's not doing that when things are cold, you can be pretty sure the thing that's failed only stops working once it's at temperature, perhaps some sort of exhaust sensor at a guess but honestly the only way to know for sure is to plug it in and get diagnostics done.

Probably need to clean egr valve intake and maybe manifold.

Edit :- These are most likely blocked with carbon does not mean this will solve your problem but is a good idea to try this in a dci as it will give a lot of power back if it is lacking.
Its worth checking out.

Sent from my ASUS_T00P using Micra Sports Club mobile app

Last edited:
Got a 1.5dci k12. When I start the car up and drive for about 10 mins or so everything is fine, I can put the accelerator down quite hard and it will pull quite well. But then after that if I do the same the red engine management light comes on the dashboard and a message on the radio display saying engine system fault if I ease off the accelerator the light turns off.

It will only let me get up to about 3000rpm then it won't go past that and stays at that speed, then the light comes on. Any ideas Thanks Stu?

I would get the codes and go from there, could be many things...

OP
OP
W
Apparently possibly the fault is a small part which controls the fuel flow and it takes about 30 mins to fit, so waiting for that part to come in. If that's is the problem and the car is still driven steady can any damage be caused because still not sure what the actual part is which controls the fuel flow. Cheers Stuart

OP
OP
W
All I can say is if I start the car off for the first time you can drive the car perfectly, for instance I could be going up an hill in third gear to the point it's struggling then I'd have to change into second gear or I can floor it in every gear to the red line. Then as soon as it seems that something has been working for 15mins or that something has warmed up as soon as you put any pressure on the accelerator and accelerate hard the red engine management light comes on and you can't go any faster, you take your foot off then after 5 seconds the light goes off. I've had a diagnostics test and it's come up something relating fuel starvation but no pinpointed code. I know there's a multitude of things like sensors etc but I don't want to keep throwing money at it I'm also aware that diagnostics tests are not that accurate. In a dilemma to scrap the car and get something else for the wife or persavere. I just wish someone could say the exact same thing happened to them and that this is the problem.

frank

Club Member
with live data you can monitor the rail pressure/boost pressure etc while you are driving, or else analyse it afterwards
so if it overboosts or rail pressure suddenly drops when the mil light shows you can pinpoint the problem
my bluetooth obd adapter and android torque app is useful for that sort of thing

I'm not saying you have the same issue,

I used to have a Honda civic ep4, 1.7 ctdi Isuzu engine, at around 170,000 miles it started to hit limp mode once warmed up, revs would be limited to 2500 regardless of gear etc. Cut a long story short, the turbo vanes and actuator were coked up with carbon. The cost to fix came to just under a tenner,

I read up on the skoda site and improvised, Mr Muscle came to the rescue !

Sold it after another 30,000 miles and it was still running fine !

Find somewhere who can do live data readings!

All I can say is if I start the car off for the first time you can drive the car perfectly, for instance I could be going up an hill in third gear to the point it's struggling then I'd have to change into second gear or I can floor it in every gear to the red line. Then as soon as it seems that something has been working for 15mins or that something has warmed up as soon as you put any pressure on the accelerator and accelerate hard the red engine management light comes on and you can't go any faster, you take your foot off then after 5 seconds the light goes off. I've had a diagnostics test and it's come up something relating fuel starvation but no pinpointed code. I know there's a multitude of things like sensors etc but I don't want to keep throwing money at it I'm also aware that diagnostics tests are not that accurate. In a dilemma to scrap the car and get something else for the wife or persavere. I just wish someone could say the exact same thing happened to them and that this is the problem.

Diagnostic tests are extremely accurate if you get someone who knows what they are doing, as others have said live data is a super valuable tool.