Engine Management Light

Hi all,

I own a X reg (face lift) Micra. This week the Engine Management Light started appearing. After 4 to 5 minutes of driving (speeds between 0-30-60) the light goes out and stays out. But if I stop the engine (at a junction/lights etc) and restart again the light reappears, with in seconds. Parked and Idle it takes about 10 minutes for the light to go out and will light up again if I stop and restart the engine. I've done this several times and the results are the same.

Today I changed the oil (10/40 - 2.75 to 3L used) and oil filter, as well the air filter. The Plugs were changed about 10 thousand miles ago so I didn't change them (I do 5-7k per year)

I've google to find this forum and searched for 1 hour+ having tried the "short piece of wire" trick: Reading Fault codes (which I couldn't get to work).

I'm based in north London and I'm asking for some help please (Y)

frank

Club Member
hi rogue, i think the wire bridging trick only works on the earlier eobd1 system, yours will be eobd2 which you can use a code reader on :)

Dave_Ally

Ex. Club Member
Yeah you'll have to buy a cheap ELM327 or whatever they are. As long as it reads ISO9141. Code will be in the history even if the light has gone out.

OP
OP
Rogue
Gents thanks for the replies

Yeah you'll have to buy a cheap ELM327 or whatever they are. As long as it reads ISO9141. Code will be in the history even if the light has gone out.

I got one of these and it works.

The error code: P0137 - O2 Sensor Circuit Low Volts (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

I've cleared the code and waiting to see if it pops up again

Dave_Ally

Ex. Club Member
Sensor 2 is the post cat one hrmm. Think people have had problems with those before, if yours is an X-reg like mine it might have the odd connector Nissan used for a few months also so Bosch part numbers are slightly different.

OP
OP
Rogue
Well the light not appeared (yet) and I'm hoping it stays that way (after clearing the code). But if it appears the sensor needs changing. I checked the wiring (4 wire but can't see if its bosch no logo) and plug/sensor were firmly installed (in exhaust pipe below the oil filter under the car)

Whats the difference between the "odd connector"and the "bosch" or NGK one ? I've been looking at ebay again (3 or 4 wire etc) and prices start from
£16.95 for 3 wire
£69.99 for 4 wire NGK
"LAMBDA SENSOR NISSAN MICRA 2000-2002"
The NGK site state this one
Tried bosch site no luck.

Is there a difference between front and rear sensor are they interchangeable ?

Dave_Ally

Ex. Club Member
I would use a Bosch one mate if you can. What year is your x-reg, late 2000 or early 2001 (connector changed around November 2000)?

OP
OP
Rogue
Does anyone have a pictures of the pins you need to connect to get the codes. i have looked on the k11 wiki page but the picture seems to be missing (might be because flash has decided to die on my laptop and wont come back).
Cheers :)
edit: this is the image URL if anyone can view it? http://k11wiki.com/images/K11consult.jpg

thats a 404 for me
404 - File or directory not found.
The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

As for reading codes for me: using eobd2/OBDII I found that a reader was the best option. But others have used the "short piece of wire" trick: Reading Fault codes. Depends on the year of the micra and what type of connector is in the car for code reading (to the best of my limited understanding)

http://k11wiki.com/index.php?title=Engine_ECU_fault_codes#Consult

another link