Engine management light

kennierobo

Buy & Sell Member
Got the dreaded light of death yesterday, and after running the diagnostic scanner it came back with cam shaft position sensor. I have searched online and the consensus is that the timing chain is goosed rather than the sensor other faults include fluctuating revs at stand still. I have a few questions is there any pics around a guide for doing this job also best place to buy replacement timing chain or kit also the best way to change them. Im not at all looking forward to this as Ive been very ill and im still not strong enough to be lifting out engines to do this so for now I have just canceled the fault code, hopefully in a few months I will be at a stage that I can tackle the job in hand but for now im just looking for info. I cant afford to pay garages up to a grand to get it done either as I am on half pay so that option is out, any help would be appreciated....:down:

Dont just jump to the conclusion that its a stretched timing chain. Do a bit more digging. It might just be a nackered sensor.

Take the cam cover off and measure the chain tensioner, if it protrudes more than 10mm, you have a stretched timing chain and it will need changed or a new engine(my choice).

If i were you, i'd change the sensor ( shouldnt cost too much?) and check the tensioner then make your decision. It may well be the timing chain but cheap options first (Y)

AV? dont think I would buy new engine its only covered 38k and runs sweet enough. I have done several searches and 99% of the time its the timing chain, but that said I wasnt just going to change it without checking first I was looking at worst case scenario then anything else is a bonus. I would then look at costs IE timing chain kit £275 and a few days work new engine (buying someone else s problems) £400 to £500 and a few hours work, ripping the whole lot out re looming and put a better engine gearbox combo in maybe a weeks work and no more cost than replacing the engine. If it is the timing chain then im leaning more towards the re loom option and doing a blog, I wasnt going to do it to this car as I was bidding on a cat d k12 for that project but I may as well if its goosed.

came across this today ken :grinning:

Attachments

• PICT0268.JPG
    PICT0268.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 407
changed the cam sensor today £40.00 after engine management light came on and shut whole system down and while I was on with it I changed the plugs what a shock £32.00 so in for a penny in for a pound I bought the workshop manual so if any one needs any pages scanned let me know. And guess what the erratic tick over is still there. very very lumpy so as this car has somewhat grown on me im going to do the timing chain when i get a few weeks off work up until then I think I will moth ball it. If I can find a low mileage engine in the meantime I will buy it and do the chain on it before fitting it makes more sense than having car off the roads for a few days then sell the one I take out or keep it as a spare, Ive only had this car about a month and have had to spend money on it all ready all the k11,s I had never had a thing go wrong in fact bomb proof how sad it is that Nissan got it so wrong with this model lets hope they have learnt by there mistakes other wise im afraid the micra marque will wither and die.

Back