Engine Management Light on after service!

shaiboy_uk

Buy & Sell Member
Hi all,

Wonder if anyone can help.

Yestarday I serviced my partners 53 plate Micra 1.0 E. Oil change, Oil filter change, air filter and sparks. All went well, and all topped up, started first time and drives as normal. however the Engine Management Light is now on. Tried putting the old sparks back in, and old filter, but just the same. All leads ok, and as I say drives as per normal.

I've tried disconnecting battery for several hours, but doesn't reset the light.

Anyone any other help? I can book it in to Nissan to check it, but its not cheap.

Thanks

Cheers
Shaiboy_UK

i aint to sure about k12's but i know this happens on bmw's there is a reset code for the bmw but i aint too sure about the k12 as i said the only thing i can think of is to search the forum for this fault

this reminds me of the 'ring of death' on xbox 360. when this comes on it dies! A lot of people have experienced this fault but i believe not many has had this fixed. Even if they did, it cost them a small fortune!

this reminds me of the 'ring of death' on xbox 360. when this comes on it dies! A lot of people have experienced this fault but i believe not many has had this fixed. Even if they did, it cost them a small fortune!

Hi,

I hope not, all i did was a service and then the light came on!!! and its running fine too. argh....

Cheers
Shaiboy_UK

shaiboy, what is the symbol on the light ? (engine or spanner etc)

Orange Engine
like this
emlab2.jpg

never seen a spanner on the dash when the car dash lights up.

Cheers
Shaiboy_UK

not sure, but there are probably more relevant threads on there :)
(that one was just a quick look)

Thanks, but it defo don't have a spanner, thats the ones with the computer display. which this isn't as its the E not SE.

Cheers
Shaiboy_UK

engine light

if you have tinkered with the ignition you might have just created a fault code on the ecu, if that fault no longer exists the light will go out after so many starts?? you may have dislodged a sensor by accident and that would show a fault?? try pushing them all back on, and wait a couple of days otherwise the fault needs reading by a diagnostic machine,
any help?

i have the same problem except mines gunna cost me £1300

the same fault? yours drives ok after a service? and your light is on?

if you have tinkered with the ignition you might have just created a fault code on the ecu, if that fault no longer exists the light will go out after so many starts?? you may have dislodged a sensor by accident and that would show a fault?? try pushing them all back on, and wait a couple of days otherwise the fault needs reading by a diagnostic machine,
any help?

Thanks, yep stripped everything back down, leads and connectors all ok. Stopped and started it 10-15 times, always starts first time, light will go out for maybe 5 secs then come back on solid.

My partner doesn't want to drive it very far in case it causes damage, even though it drives fine. Does anyone think it will be ok to drive? or best not?

My Local Nissan want £66 to plug it into there computer, then god knows how much more if something is found!

Thanks for everyones help.

Cheers
Shaiboy_Uk

shaiboy, most garages will have a codereader, and will probably charge a fraction of what the main dealers do :)

shaiboy, most garages will have a codereader, and will probably charge a fraction of what the main dealers do :)

But is it not better for the Dealer to do it? I don't know many good garages hence why I do my own repairs :laugh:

Cheers
Shaiboy_UK

shaiboy, i would get the faultcode first, then get some further advice :)
it may just need a reset ?

Aye i know what your saying mate, but don't know any good garage that have the equipment to do it, and know that they would do it right or cause more issues.

Hi mate, my car had this light come on October last year. Was after a service at a garage tho. Took it back the next day, and the guy didn't have the code reader for the car, so had to call in an outsider. Code said the EGR valve was faulty, so had to get that replaced, but light was still on. Had to get ecu reset to synchronise with the new EGR at Nissan dealer only. Cost 45 quid, took 15 mins to reset, then no light.

Hi mate, my car had this light come on October last year. Was after a service at a garage tho. Took it back the next day, and the guy didn't have the code reader for the car, so had to call in an outsider. Code said the EGR valve was faulty, so had to get that replaced, but light was still on. Had to get ecu reset to synchronise with the new EGR at Nissan dealer only. Cost 45 quid, took 15 mins to reset, then no light.

Thanks mate.

Car is going into a independent garage this morning, say they can read the fault code and reset it for £20. heres hoping.

How much did it cost to replace the EGR value?

Thanks again

Further to my last email, got the car back within the hour, light is off :D:D:D

The Fault code found was "CODE P0223 THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR SWITCH AND CIRCUIT HIGH"

Garage checked it, all ok, cleared code and light now off Wooo Hooo.

Cost me just £23 inc Vat and the partner is happy with me again :laugh:

Thanks to you guys for recommending to go to independent garage rather than Nissan, saves me a few quid and found a really good garage. *Note to admin* Can i recommend this garage on here?

Also, where can I get a full list of the fault codes? And what does the above fault code mean and when is the sensor located?

Thanks again guys

yea put the name of the garage here but since you live in glasgow i dont think many will be visiting soon lol.

I am glad it is sorted and £23 is money well spent!

Also, where can I get a full list of the fault codes? And what does the above fault code mean and when is the sensor located?

Thanks again guys

shaiboy, it,s listed on the autodata cd (the data disc that many garages use) as "throttle pedal position" , probably the fly by wire out of sync/needing reset

no they do it most of the time as i work for nissan and have had no end of them,

the mil light comes on you read it then delete it and it don't come back unless there is a fault on that system, but they come with alsorts lol

shaiboy, it,s listed on the autodata cd (the data disc that many garages use) as "throttle pedal position" , probably the fly by wire out of sync/needing reset

where is that located under the bonnet? could I have moved it or something when doing sparks? Just i have these new sparks to put back in, at to minds if i should or just leave it alone, it was due new sparks by now.

Thanks

I think the EGR valve was 65 quid, I think. The garage stuck it in FOC, but I had to get to the Nissan dealer to sync up the EGR to the ecu. That cost 25 quid. Only took about 10 mins.

Just a thought on the matter. Has anyone checked to replace the inlet manifold seals when changing the sparks? I had this same prob with mine after servicing my 1.0E The rubber seal rings that sit on top the inlet manifold had perished,and. Tthe engine was drawing too much air in,economy was shot,and the new sparks went black. The seals cost about £12 for the 4 from nissan dealership!

Back