Engine management light frustration

Hi,

My engine management light has recently come on - and stays lit. Is there a way to read the codes myself without paying the £30 - £40 quoted for a garage to do it? I have an x reg 2001 1.0 micra with the 16 pin connector under the steering wheel - not in the fuse box. I've read here and there that you can short two pins and get the management light to flash the light back to you... but this seems to nothing. To be honest it seems as though one of the pins (of 9 and 16) isn't actually wired up :S
Can I get the codes myself?

Have searched the forum and the rest of the internet for hours and seem to be going round in circles.

Thanks ;)

Scouse boy

Buy & Sell Member
There is slug... connect the bottom 2 left connectors for a few seconds then release and match the flashes to the code... i think one long flash =10 and 1 quick flash = 1... do a search on google man :)

P.s if this fails then i take no responsability lol

OP
OP
Slug
Hi scouse boy. Believe me when I say I've done nothing but Google. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the procedure you stated for the old diagnostic system where the connection is in the fuse box?
Bazz, I'm based in Bradford, Leeds and Huddersfield ish... thanks

OP
OP
Slug
Hi scouse boy. Believe me when I say I've done nothing but Google. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the procedure you stated for the old diagnostic system where the connection is in the fuse box?
Bazz, I'm based in Bradford, Leeds and Huddersfield ish... thanks

The procedure scouse boy has stated is for the older OBD1 8? Pin
16 pin is OBD2
Shorting the pins on the connector does not work on Primeras from around 2001. Nissan must have done the same on the Micra.
£25 ebay reader is still cheaper than a garage doing it.

andy

Ex. Club Member
Bought the reader from ebay :)
Knowing my luck the fault will disappear ny the time it arrives.

can ya give details or a link to which code reader ya got ...thinking of getting 1 meself and dont want to get the wrong 1

cheers andy

OP
OP
Slug
Hi guys,

Bought the reader yesterday, arrived this morning. Andy the product was titled "Diagnostic Scanner Fault Code Reader OBD2 EOBD II U380" and cost me £24. Don't know if I can give the direct link.

The fault code I have is P0137 - O2 Sensor Circuit Low Volts (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

I'm guessing the first point of call is to replace the sensor(s)?

Just reading up on it and possible problems are faulty sensor, exhaust leak, blocked cat converter.

Thanks for all advice and will keep you updated.

I wonder if this could be at all related to the loss of power problems I'm still having with the car. 70mph + slight gradient + foot to the floor = decline in speed and struggle to hold even 60mph.

frank

Club Member
Hi guys,

Bought the reader yesterday, arrived this morning. Andy the product was titled "Diagnostic Scanner Fault Code Reader OBD2 EOBD II U380" and cost me £24. Don't know if I can give the direct link.

The fault code I have is P0137 - O2 Sensor Circuit Low Volts (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

I'm guessing the first point of call is to replace the sensor(s)?

Just reading up on it and possible problems are faulty sensor, exhaust leak, blocked cat converter.

Thanks for all advice and will keep you updated.

I wonder if this could be at all related to the loss of power problems I'm still having with the car. 70mph + slight gradient + foot to the floor = decline in speed and struggle to hold even 60mph.

thats the postcat (2nd) lambda sensor slug, coilpack engines have 2 lambda,s, and there have been a few threads posted up concerning those

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
this thingy? -----http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Diagnostic-Scanner-Fault-Code-Reader-OBD2-EOBD-II-U380-/290375338019?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item439bb80823

OP
OP
Slug
Hi again,

Car has recently thrown up another code (this code reader of eBay has been a gem)

The first one it threw a few weeks ago (twice in about a week) was:
P0137 - O2 Sensor Circuit Low Volts (Bank 1 Sensor 2) (Lean condition)

The one thrown yesterday was:
P0171 - System Too Lean (Bank 1)

Only thing I've done so far is replace the fuel filter. Scouring the Internet (again) has led me to believe it could be the MAF Sensor playing up (thanks MopedMan for the early heads up!!)
MopedMan mentioned disconnecting this to check if things improve. Will it have any damaging effects if I run at motorway speeds when the problem is most obvious?

Please note I have a 2000 onwards Micra with the slightly different system to the pre-2000's. :(

Thanks

Hello every body,

I have this problem. Can some one help me please?

I was on M62 from Leeds to Manchester yesterday and the light came on. It cam one before as well when I took the car to garage for servicing. The have looked at it and fixed there and than.

Yesterday when it came on there was no reduction on speed or anything, but some times on rainy days from Manchester to Leeds at the Pnine area it is not going beyond 60K. I had the car since nearly 3 weeks now. It is 2000 plate SE+ 1.4 Micra.

Please help/advise.

Regards