Engine Idle Setup

solarice

Ex. Club Member
Ok so im looking for a little bit of help here, as im busy trying to setup the car prior to mapping...so im trying to check and alter if required the timing, idle etc etc.

But now that ive got a colder set of plugs in, once it warms up i cant get the idle down below about 900rpm or it struggles to keep going (revs jump up and down between about 400 and 1000 rpm every few seconds). Im currently removing fuel as its in the 10-11's AFR wise if its not altered and all you can smell is unburnt petrol.

Ive tried altering the tps switch, idle switch, throttle body butterfly base setting...which has all allowed the car to idle alot better than when i started.

Fuel pressure is set at about 3 bar iirc.

Ive also got a different set of cams in now which is looking to pull more air in, so im guessing because of all the factors its to be expected. ??

Would those who've previously been down this route say this is about right...and if it is how do i go about checking/setting the timing as the haynes recommends the idle be about 600-650 for checking timing and obviously i cant get it down that far...plus its not exactly stock now lol.

One way i guess is to put my old stock plugs back in and set it up that way (as the car was running pretty much ok before) and then go back to the new plugs once i know how everythings set, but if theres a work around or similar that'll avoid having to do twice the work then id be happy to know about it :D

Thanks in advance.

BELOW INFO ADDED: 19:21pm 16th Jan -- The sites double merged my posts even though they are some 3-4 hours or so apart.

lol guess not :D

no worries guys...i'll take another look at it tomorrow. :)

Back