ENGINE HELP!!!

Engine over heated the other day and I lost power, fitted a new thermostat and radiator cap, car then ran fine and no more over heating.

Drove the car about 50 mile today and just as I got home the engine check light came on, doesn't seem to be any loss of power, no over heating and it still runs fine

Any ideas what is wrong?

car seems to be running fine now, except water keeps getting pumped into the expansion tank, and its overflowing after every long drive

is this just too much water in the radiator or should the radiator be topped up to the brim?

i will give the tubes a squeeze to get rid of trapped air

i put a new radiator cap on when i changed the thermostat, hope the head gasket hasnt failed either haha

everytime i stop and turn the engine off i can hear bubbles going going into the expansion tank or somewhere, not sure what is going on

what are the signs of a failed head gasket?

i put a new radiator cap on when i changed the thermostat, hope the head gasket hasnt failed either haha

everytime i stop and turn the engine off i can hear bubbles going going into the expansion tank or somewhere, not sure what is going on

what are the signs of a failed head gasket?
White smokey exhaust, low power. Maybe the head bolts werent torqued correctly? Did you have the head off??

power is fine and no smoke, i havent actually done the head gasket, just wondering if its gone

car seems to be running fine at the moment so will just leave it be, radiator is just being a bit tempermental

Still sounds like air working its way out to me bud. Don't top it up , and see how low the water goes. Put your heater on full to help any air out, squeeze the pipes with the top off the radiator, and the engine running.....DONT GET CAUGHT BY THE FAN COMING ON!!!!!!
Fill the radiator SLOWLY as it drops.
Don't let it drop low enough to actually blow your gasket.

Last edited:
not sure if its possible on micra but did you put the thermostat in the correct way, does it have a wee pinhole at the top? not sure you could put it upside down but seen it done before on some older things.