Engine flush?

Hello Everybody, I was just about to change the engine oil & filter to my K11, when my neigthbour told me about Engine Flush & its uses. But I have never used this stuff before even when I had a Citroen 2cv or the other 2002 K11. My question is it worth using or not could it harm the engine in any way? even if the engine is 20 years old . Yours Peter0003

Flushes for oil remove any sludge from the part of the engine where the oil flows through, there is unlikely to be much built up sludge unless you go a long time between oil/filter changes. Sometimes sludged up oil is sealing an old engine and it may begin to leak afterwards but this is a symptom of a bigger problem - so if you flush it out be prepared to check for leaks in the weeks afterwards and replace gaskets/seals anywhere you discover oil coming out. Check the exhaust for darker smoke that would indicate oil being burned, which would mean you have to change the piston rings and check cylinder compression, although I would say this is extremely unlikely that your pistons are sealed by dirty oil.

The other kind of flushes (the kind that you spray below the air intake/throttle body) are supposed to remove carbon deposits from inside the cylinders and exhaust. You might have heard of seafoam for small engines like lawnmowers although I think this is an american product. There are mobile services advertised where somebody comes to your house in a van and does this for you.

There is also coolant flush for the engine coolant, this removes deposits from the holes within the engine casings where the coolant flows through, as well as the water pump, the radiator, the hoses and the heater. You buy it in a little bottle, remove some coolant from the radiator (using a turkey baster or similar) and then add the whole bottle. I made the mistake of adding it to the expansion tank once which doesn't work, it just sits there.

Modern engine oils contain detergents & additives to keep the engine clean & sludge in suspension rendering oil flush solvents irrelevant money making scams for the garage trade.

Annual oil/filter change is all that’s required.

Engine flush solvents applied for the first time to an old engine may dislodge carbon sludge globules that may then move on into & block the smallest oil channels/galleys?

Perhaps this is an unnecessary risk that’s not advisable with a 20 year old K11 engine in addition too creating leakes where none existed before? :eek:

Reference;

Good luck with that.

Last edited:

SuperUno

Buy & Sell Member
The rally cars get flushed with cheap new oil till it runs clean out of the sump, usually between 0.5-1ltr of oil each time. Helps clean things out

Unless the car has seriously been neglected, ie oil like treacle, then don't flush it. If you want a safe way to flush it, buy the cheapest oil there is of that grade, run if for a day or two, then another oil and filter change with good oil.

But as said, if it has had regular servicing, at least once a year, then don't even bother with that.

Unless the car has seriously been neglected, ie oil like treacle, then don't flush it. If you want a safe way to flush it, buy the cheapest oil there is of that grade, run if for a day or two, then another oil and filter change with good oil.

But as said, if it has had regular servicing, at least once a year, then don't even bother with that.

Spot on, you have nailed it down man!

Flushing of engines is just a money making ADD ON scam for the garage trade & big business marketing to browbeat gullible ordinary customers in order to maximise profits & bonus commissions trade selling.

Flushing old engines can create problems, leaks & small capillary oil ways blockages where no problems existed before.

That is a risk for uninformed customers that are not advisable & sharp practice msselling.