Engine fault indicator

• Thread starter Deleted member 29304
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29304

Hi Everyone,

I have just had this evening an interesting breakdown the engine warning light came on and after parking the car safely in a lay by. I fitted a one of those tools that can tell me what is wrong to my car via outlet plug & it told me that the fault lay in number 1 cylinder which was miss firing. So when I contacted my breakdown cover, the recovery truck driver/mechanic checked out my 2002 K11 but couldn’t find the fault that was listed he lifted up my bonnet and listened to the engine and no problem found even when he unplugged 1 or 2 plugs one after the after just to show me the different sound and still no problems. So I was able to drive home without calling him out again. (He told me that his girlfriend car is a k11 also, so he knew the right sound to look out for and said that the engines are reliable).

My question is what would cause a misfire in the first place?

Yours Peter0003

I don't know what year yours is but mine brought up a code when I disconnected the wire from the coil back to the ECU, it had been suggested a failure of the tacho I was using with this wire might stop the car, it didn't it ran fine. I'd suggest the ecu compares the signal returning from the coil to what it triggered and if different produces a code.
Maybe check wiring contacts particularly returning from the coil? Especially as you didn't notice a miss.

Hi Everyone,

I have just had this evening an interesting breakdown the engine warning light came on and after parking the car safely in a lay by. I fitted a one of those tools that can tell me what is wrong to my car via outlet plug & it told me that the fault lay in number 1 cylinder which was miss firing. So when I contacted my breakdown cover, the recovery truck driver/mechanic checked out my 2002 K11 but couldn’t find the fault that was listed he lifted up my bonnet and listened to the engine and no problem found even when he unplugged 1 or 2 plugs one after the after just to show me the different sound and still no problems. So I was able to drive home without calling him out again. (He told me that his girlfriend car is a k11 also, so he knew the right sound to look out for and said that the engines are reliable).

Yours Peter0003

As it drives ok let it run on to see if the same DTC repeats. Should this CEL & corresponding DTC repeat, try interchanging number one cylinder coil with one of the other coils to check if the flagged DTC moves with the relocated suspect coil to another cylinder?

Most often it’s the wire plug connections to the coils & plugs are also common sources of misfire that you describe.

Good will hunting fault tracing & eliminating. ;)

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29304

Hi Everyone,

Yours Peter0003
HI All, I found out that the fault lies with the spark plugs as they aren't bosch but a cheaper brand BOLK as I was told by a main dealer that I should use boash sparks plugs and and renew coils my cars a K11 October 2002 .

Not a fan of bosch sark plugs, specially on coil packs k11 but most likely its just your coil breaking Down , you can do a resistance check on it , need to compare readings to spec,
Had aload of Bosch plugs fail prematurely aswell as coil packs
Also do you wash your engine bay?,had a few coil packs fail due to jet washing
NGK plugs I find best ATM, book arnt they part Bosch, or one company is