• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Engine cutting out on starting, but otherwise runs ok

Hi there, I've got a 2003 Micra 1.2L (132k miles) that has recently been giving trouble. At first it was just kangarooing for like 30 seconds after moving off, then it got worse and would do it for maybe a minute or 2. More recently, the engine would start cutting out on starting and would only go if you rev the engine a little (have never needed to do that in the past). Then would really need to give it welly but might even cut out at 6000rpm! Have found now that it starts ok if you rev and then take off immediately.

No lights in the dash to suggest any faults. Had a basic service done this week, so spark plugs and air filter were replaced. Took the car to the mechanic who ran diagnostics and a few faults were coming up (can post all the codes if needed). They were cleared and test was run again and an unknown code p0340 came up again. Found this related to the camshaft position sensor, so mechanic suggested replacing this as the easiest and cheapest option. Replaced the sensor, but unfortunately this didn't do anything for the car and the code was still present on the next check. The mechanic said it could be a number of things including timing chain stretched and off position leading to the 0340 code.

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue? Don't want to keep forking out for the old Micra, especially as we don't know what the problem is but if it's something easy done then no need to think about getting a new car.

Cheers

Hi there, I've got a 2003 Micra 1.2L (132k miles) that has recently been giving trouble. At first it was just kangarooing for like 30 seconds after moving off, then it got worse and would do it for maybe a minute or 2. More recently, the engine would start cutting out on starting and would only go if you rev the engine a little (have never needed to do that in the past). Then would really need to give it welly but might even cut out at 6000rpm! Have found now that it starts ok if you rev and then take off immediately.

No lights in the dash to suggest any faults. Had a basic service done this week, so spark plugs and air filter were replaced. Took the car to the mechanic who ran diagnostics and a few faults were coming up (can post all the codes if needed). They were cleared and test was run again and an unknown code p0340 came up again. Found this related to the camshaft position sensor, so mechanic suggested replacing this as the easiest and cheapest option. Replaced the sensor, but unfortunately this didn't do anything for the car and the code was still present on the next check. The mechanic said it could be a number of things including timing chain stretched and off position leading to the 0340 code.

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue? Don't want to keep forking out for the old Micra, especially as we don't know what the problem is but if it's something easy done then no need to think about getting a new car.

Cheers
Most of the micra owners had this kind of issues.
The chain is dead. It's a common problem for 2003,2004 and 2005 models.

Sent from my W_C800 using Micra Sports Club mobile app

If it is timing chain might as well drop another engine in from a later model..
If you can get a timing chain fitted cheaper you should however go with that.
Maybe get it checked to see if it has stretched as they bottom out.
Before I got mine it had engine replaced. With a newer model for some reason.
Most likely it needed timing chain but must have been cheaper at the time to drop a newer engine in with the benefit of a lower mileage and the more robust chain already in place.. I think mine got an 07 in and the vehicle is an 05 the later ones don't suffer as much with the chain stretch but obviously they are not maintenance free.
Look for chain ware might be a guide if you Google it I think I seen one around the other day.

Sent from my ASUS_T00P using Micra Sports Club mobile app