Engine cleaning

On saturday i was an idiot and after topping oil up,left filler cap off and part way on first drive suddenly occured to me that i couldnt remember putting the cap back on. Needless to say,engine now plastered in oil,so has anyone washed a micra k12 petrol engine,was thinking of steam cleaning as we have a polti steam cleaner. Is this a safe idea or am i going to cause probs? Thanks Chris

As non carburated and no distributor, why not just plastic bag over the air intake; spray with automotive degreaser and wash the oil off with hose water?

Think worst is underside of bonet now,so going to dry wipe the worst,and soapy sponge the bonnet. Cars bad enough in rain,so rather avoid the hose or pressure wash way.

I have use of a steam cleaner at home. Just never used it on an engine before,and wasnt sure if anything would need covering while steam cleaning.

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
I have use of a steam cleaner at home. Just never used it on an engine before,and wasnt sure if anything would need covering while steam cleaning.
I cleaned Camaros engine bay with adjustable steamcleaner, I didn't specifically covered anything. Steam goes in much smaller openings than water. I used common sense.