Engine Check Light (HELP!!)

N

NovaVan

Hi peeps, newbie here!! :p

I am a Vauxhall boy through and through. But......... I have a lot of love for the Micra as my best friend owns a K11 1.0i on a P reg. This will explain why I'm here on your forums today requesting your help people........

Yesterday I followed my friend out to his workshop where we did a few bits and pieces and then decided to shoot off to the auctions. Jumping into his Micra he turned the key to ignition and the engine check light started flashing quite quickly. He tried to start it and it started but only runs for 5 seconds and then cuts out. If you try to start it as soon as it cuts out then it will not start but if you leave it for a few minutes and try to start it then it will start but only for 5 seconds. We have checked the injectors, fuel pump, spark etc etc and they all seem to be doing their job.

Obviously you guys have a hell of a lot more Micra experience than me but are the Micra's equipped with a "safe mode" which the ECU engages if it feels there is a problem??

We've gone from front to back and everything is fine. If it is in "Safe mode" is there anyway of tricking it out of it??

My friend seems a bit upset about it all and has even talked about scrapping it but I pursaded him into letting me try a few forums etc first.

The car is a Nissan Micra K11 1997 P-reg 140000 miles 1.0i 16v

Many Thanks guys and girls :k11yellow:

Did you know that if you have a blown fuse it could cause a "check engine" or "service engine soon" light to come on? Advanced technology in vehicles monitor several different systems, an electric air pump fuse failure will cause a "check engine" light to appear, simply replace the fuse and the computer "check engine" will reset in 3 engine run cycles.

Just read that online mate, worth a try

Hope it helps

Daz

Many thanks for that buddy. Where was that information found??

Basically....... Check all the fuses, replace any blown ones, run engine and let it cut out, repeat the last process another 2 times and then everything will be fine??? fwn

i googled "micra engine light" for ya and that was returned

http://www.2carpros.com/makes/nissan/micra.htm

Its a topic about someones micra having starter problems but the bit underneath is where i got that info from.

i would check all fuses (get a haynes manual for the car at local library) an check over the fuseable links and relays as well mate!

hope that helps ya
What i think it means by 3 engine run cycles is that each rotation of the camshaft is an engine cycle so the engine will run, an the light will go off once the cams have rotated 3 times. Correct me if im wrong guys..

Daz

Excellent!!

We are going to go out there and check the NATS system as I've also found some information about that. Will also replace any blown fuses etc. Fingers crossed!!

Anyone else with some information before we leave?? Many Thanks to K10daz for his quick constructive replys, cheers mate.

Thanks guys

it may have somethin to do with the throttle body, well the air flow meter part of it, it screws up,regular prob, mine screwed up but i could still drive it, it would just cut out now and then. i resoldered it and its fine now.

p.s novavan, do u know a guy called greg bramwell? he goes by the name gee or novataka on his nova forums!he as his own nova site too!theres a member on is forum called novavan!

RE: RE: Engine Check Light (HELP!!)

hughes_16v said:
p.s novavan, do u know a guy called greg bramwell? he goes by the name gee or novataka on his nova forums!he as his own nova site too!theres a member on is forum called novavan!

That'll be me and yes I know your mate, small world!!

I'll pass on the air flow meter advice to my mate, cheers guys :)

Back