Engine bay clean.

Hi all,

Been wanting to get to grips with the engine bay for some time. I have a strange yellow stain on my rocker cover. have tried to clean it off but it won't budge.

I have done a basic rag, with a mild APC solution on the outer ledges and the top of the airbox etc, but I have always been nervous of going further knowing that any "cockups" could knacker the car, water ingress on electrics etc.

Any advice would be appreciated and any recommended products? I have looked at DODO juice and GUNX along with other variants of engine degreaser.

What do you all use and how?

Many thanks.

Attachments

• 20200522_104439.jpg
    20200522_104439.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 175
  • 20200522_104441.jpg
    20200522_104441.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 186
  • 20200522_103612.jpg
    20200522_103612.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 153
  • 20200522_103615.jpg
    20200522_103615.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 178
Maybe something that would lift it would work.
By not removing that would take longer. But if you test in a small area it might be worth doing since you want it to look nicer.
Maybe try a cotton q tip or something with a dab of isopropyl. On one area and see if it lifts that way you won't be using water.
It will be hard to remove as the heat would have baked it to the cover.
So I suggest lift dissolve carefully..
Not sure how it would effect the cover colour.

I'm sure there are lots of ways it could be removed and my idea may not be ideal.
So I will say just test it till you find the right product that removes it.

Sent from my ASUS_T00P using Micra Sports Club mobile app

Maybe something that would lift it would work.
By not removing that would take longer. But if you test in a small area it might be worth doing since you want it to look nicer.
Maybe try a cotton q tip or something with a dab of isopropyl. On one area and see if it lifts that way you won't be using water.
It will be hard to remove as the heat would have baked it to the cover.
So I suggest lift dissolve carefully..
Not sure how it would effect the cover colour.

I'm sure there are lots of ways it could be removed and my idea may not be ideal.
So I will say just test it till you find the right product that removes it.

Sent from my ASUS_T00P using Micra Sports Club mobile app

Appreciate the advice. I will try iso and see how it works. I haven't got any right now but will pick some up give it a go and let you know.

Thanks again.

Wire brush it?,
Won't do any harm

Sent from my moto g(6) using Micra Sports Club mobile app

Thanks!! (y)

Was thinking that, when I was in local auto shop was told wire brushing MAY loosen the gasket??? I thought it sounded unlikely but as a novice wanted to check here first. I now have methylated spirit as couldn't find ISO, and I got GUNK (the metal tin brush on kind.

I also have some wire wool.

Last edited:
Thanks!! (y)

Was thinking that, when I was in local auto shop was told wire brushing MAY loosen the gasket??? I thought it sounded unlikely but as a novice wanted to check here first. I now have methylated spirit as couldn't find ISO, and I got GUNK (the metal tin brush on kind.

I also have some wire wool.
Lol
Sounds like bs , unless your hitting the gasket ect but not even near no issues ,

Sent from my moto g(6) using Micra Sports Club mobile app