Electronic Power Steering Fuse etc

Hi,

Am new to the forum.

A friend has a 03 Micra, which is showing the all too common loss of power steering.

I am aware that the fault code can be read and sometimes resetting it can help to cure the problem - sometimes temporarily

I read on another page (Honest John) that the fuses should be checked first for damp/contact problems.

Is there actually an EPS fuse on the k12? If so, where is it located in the fuse box?

I also wanted to ask for a recommendation for a cheap code reader for these cars which can cancel the EPS faults (an maybe code in a new one)

I have read that the unit can be reconditioned.

Does anybody actually know what the problem with the EPS does be? Is it usually a fault in the motor windings or something like a contact problem or is it an electronic problem?

If the car's own unit is reconditioned, I take it that it does not needed to be coded in upon refitting?

thanks

huttojb

Club Member
EPS System Guru
Hey. Look at my post on this forum, may help you.

The fuse is either a 60a or 70a in the engine fuse box. Never known it to blow ever!!

Look at my post and go from there, never know the motor winding to fail, usually the relay on the motor within the internal circuit of the eps.

Jason.

OP
OP
Z
Thank you. Am a bit under the weather at the moment but will look in more detail at your post.

I see you worked for TRW.

Are the relays accessible on these units?

huttojb

Club Member
EPS System Guru
Thank you. Am a bit under the weather at the moment but will look in more detail at your post.

I see you worked for TRW.

Are the relays accessible on these units?

Unfortunately not! Also for some reason everyone thinks the failure is always motor or relays, although this is a possibility there's 101 things that could go wrong with these units.

The units are a very complex bit of kit with over 100 internal Fault codes, don't bank on a relay failure.

Jason.