Electricity, Magnetism and Logic Assignment ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

joesouthgate

Super Moderator
Club Member
This must sound pretty desperate but, what sort of stuff would u guys put down for this? :p ;

e. Describe the electromagnetic principles used
. In the rotation of the rotor in a DC electric motor;
. to generate the power produced by an alternator;
. in the operation of a transformer, eg, an ignition coil. (P3).

cheers :D

Good luck! I have two assignments for next week. One of Health and Safety, one on Thermo Dynamics! oh joy!

I'm trying to remember something about this, I know the electricity passes through a magnetic field within the motor which I think then pushes another magnet on a spindle which creates the circular motion. Or something like that.

In a transformer you have electricity flow round the magnet with the number of coils around the magnet determining the input and output voltage. IE Step up Transformer Input 5 coils, output 10 coils, and vice versa for a step down transformer. Doesn't this also create the magnet to become an electromagnet?

It's been years since i've even thought about this!!!

rotation is caused by polarising metal wire by passing a current through it, the negatively charged electrons are repelled by the negatively charged magnets in the motor. thus causing the motor spinde to spin.
there is a lot more to it than that, like switching polar charge through brushes and the commutator.

and of course brushless motors too...
but im not doing the work for you..lol

the ignition coil is easy, but youve got to remember that whilst the voltae may go up from 14V to 40,000 (ish) V, the amperage will come down too as it will use the current to up the voltage.
i could write an essay on electronics but im not that nice...haha

and alternators are a 3 phase brushless design where the windings are excited by the resistance of the ignition light bulb on the dash

Its important to note that putting a core in the transformer to wrap the windings around will increase the efficiency.

In a DC motor, the Armature (Basically the coil of which is attached to whatever is going to be turned) is an electro magnet and its polarity is determined by which of the two bushes each side of the coil is in contact with.
There is a field magnet, on smaller motors, a permanent magnet, and in bigger motors, this is also an electromagnet, just a non moving one. As a voltage is put across the motor, a magnetic field builds up around the coil, because there is already a magnetic field already from the field magnet the two interact, and the coil and everything attached to it turns.
However if it was rotated too far the force between the fields would start to move back in the opposite direction, which is why the commutor is there, once the armature rotates past a certain point, the commutor ring that was touching one of the brushes is then touching the opposite brush, the current through the coil is reversed, and it carrys on turning.

Not a great explanation, but its been over 3 years since i picked up my electronics textbook.

An alternator is a sort of reversal of the principal, i.e. the coil is turned rather than being turned, but because it is turning within a fixed magnetic field it produces alternating current as it turns through the field.
Often the field on an alternator is an electromagnet, so the alternator can't generate any current without first having some electricity to set up the magnetic field that the coil will turn in.

whens this gotta be done by because i did the same sort of question in my first year....so when i go home i can dig it out if ya want....

funny enough i was going to post up my maths assignment question but i thought it was slightly cheating! :p

Could you write an assignment on Thermo Dynamics? lol
How about designing a heating system?

Quantum Physics, Fluid dynamics, electronics, Thermo efficiency and thermo dynamics, resistant materials, advanced mathematics, etc etc....

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back