Electric turbo ?

Just seen them on internet seem pretty cheap and no inter cooler is needed, also seem pretty simple to install in the car, anyone got one ?

Yeah id get one, apparently they make the car faster!!!! they only way not understand and feel th epower is to purchase one and fit it, any links to this chineses Electric turbo?

J

can remember years ago when fake dump valves come out,,,,,,,,,,a large whistle type thing you fitted in the end of your exhaust backbox,,,,a constant whistle noise as your driving around,,,amazing,,hahahaha

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
Yeah, for an electric supercharger (they are not electric turbo's, as the 'turb' refers to the exhaust driven turbine) to generate any boost, at 12v to get the power you would need a whole other alternator to cope with the current draw... thats for low boost...

Thread resurrection but..... The principle is sound although the ebay ones are snake-oil.

There is a guy in the MX5 owners club who has done it successfully. He has hacked a turbo apart and drives the compressor with a motor from a model aircraft (several horsepower). Quite correctly the car's electrical system won't provide the necessary oomph whilst it's running along so he uses a deep-cycle battery to drive the motor. A split charge system then re-charges that battery from the alternator in slower time. In practice (if not in principle) it's a bit like KERS on the F1 cars where you get the boost for a short time but then need to drive without it for a while to charge the system back up.

Obviously this means you can't run daft amounts of boost because the engine still needs to work well without the boost so can't really be optimised for boost. I also suspect that the amount of batteries you would need to carry to give a high boost would add so much extra weight that it would negate the benefits of the boost (law of diminishing returns and all that).

He doesn't actually use it on the road - he uses it on the drag strip. Well that's what the boost is for but the car takes itself there and back under it's own power so there's every chance it does get used to shock the odd person in the traffic light grand-prix on the way home if the battery is charged.

Iain

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
1 hp is 750w give or take, I guarantee model aeroplane motors are nowhere near that, as the tiny wankel (petrol!) one I've seen was 0.33hp (250w).
Like I keep saying, for meaningful boost you'd need at least 80amps fed to the motor at 12v to get the power required to the compressor. Deep cycle batteries are all very well, but at 80 amps the battery would go flat and cook in minutes (deep cycle battieries are NOT suited to high current).
You'd at LEAST need a whole other belt driven alternator... but then you're essentially belt drving the compressor so might as well supercharge as there is potential for much higher gains.

frank

Club Member
the aeromodelers use brushless dc motors nowadays eh (100a 1 kw ?) a 3kw one should work ok for short bursts imo :)

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
Makes it more of an alternative to NOS than an alternative to a turbo or supercharger though... i'd rather stick a compressor and air reservior in the boot and then have the compressor trickle charge the reservoir, then vent into the intake.

Magpie42

Actual Magpie.
I'm currently running one of these:

de12ce4c-54d4-43ce-a173-16e3bed60cf4.jpg

pollyp

Club Member
Makes it more of an alternative to NOS than an alternative to a turbo or supercharger though... i'd rather stick a compressor and air reservior in the boot and then have the compressor trickle charge the reservoir, then vent into the intake.

and also close off the air filter intake port during boost to direct all that high pressure into the engine cos you don't want it all to simply escape out the easiest path out the open air filter.

so a very crude calc, say the engine sucks 1.3L per 180deg (2.6L per rev) and upto 17L/min whilst accelerating upto 6.5k rpm,

000115800.jpg
this small compressor flows upto 14.5cfm, 400L/min providing upto 116psi but with only 50L capacity will only last 3min

000111230.jpg
this one flows 9cfm, 255L/min upto 150psi and the 100L tank will last 6min

000111046.jpg
this huge beast flows 40cfm, 1132L/min providing upto 145psi and the 270L capacity will last bout 16min but it weighs 250kg! 1/4 of the car and requires 400v supply and costs £3k lol

wonder if they tried it in scrapheap challenge?

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
3 mins is better than 10 seconds at a time. Also, you could run varying amounts of boost depending on your mood

pollyp

Club Member
oh hang on, the 17L/min at 6.5k rpm would be under NA.
under +ve boost like 10psi ur cramming alot more than 17L/min inside depending on pressure, so a 50L tank will last even less.
see my maths is crap :p

andy could you clarify the pressure/volume maths 4 me :D

pollyp

Club Member
3 mins is better than 10 seconds at a time. Also, you could run varying amounts of boost depending on your mood

on a bad day you could just wack the boost over 150psi n guaranteed to blow the engine up lol
or when feeling adventurous or environmentally friendly or wanna avoid londons congestion emissions charge, just run it on pure boost without any combustion = air powered car :)

1 hp is 750w give or take, I guarantee model aeroplane motors are nowhere near that, as the tiny wankel (petrol!) one I've seen was 0.33hp (250w).
Like I keep saying, for meaningful boost you'd need at least 80amps fed to the motor at 12v to get the power required to the compressor. Deep cycle batteries are all very well, but at 80 amps the battery would go flat and cook in minutes (deep cycle battieries are NOT suited to high current).
You'd at LEAST need a whole other belt driven alternator... but then you're essentially belt drving the compressor so might as well supercharge as there is potential for much higher gains.

So a little over 6kW is around 8hp.
http://www.giantshark.co.uk/product/171783/c8085-08-kv170

As it happens it's a TD05 that it's driving the compressor half of (geared to spin it at the right speed).

And the battery pack - none if this lead-acid malarkey or weight.
http://www.giantshark.co.uk/group/2389/12-cell-lipo-battery

Plumbing is the same as any other turbo installation but without the exhaust stuff.

Like I said it's for short bursts and then you need to give it a while to let the alternator re-charge it (or swap out the battery pack). It's been on the rollers to tune the Greddy and set the ignition and fuelling so pick holes all you like but here in the real world it works.

Iain

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
Wow, last time I looked into model aeroplanes people scoffed at the idea of an electric powered model...

**** Strawbridge and Jem Stansfield made an air powered motorbike for a TV programme. It used two fireman's BA tanks for the air supply.

Electric RC planes are becoming more popular due to the increasing restrictions on IC ones. That's driving development in motors and batteries (plus the mobile device requirement for better batteries helping it along).

Iain