EGR Valve cleaning

EGR Valve is intermitantly sticking on a 54 plate micra diesel 1.5SE.
Whats the best way to clean it? Is there such a thing as spray cleaner without having to remove the thing?

Its currently disconnected so I have the engine larning light on, computer is telling me to take it to Nissan:laugh:

Anyone had this before?

It should have a hole in the casing (underneath) for you to push the diaphram up with your finger (opening the valve), if you move it up and down a few times it should free off. A good long run down the motorway will give it a good clear out too.

Is there any negative effect on the vehicle driving it with the EGR disconnected? I wont be able to look at it properly until Saturday.

Answering my own question here but the EGR disconnected made it really heavy on fuel (according to the computer) Car travelled 2 miles and the range on the display went down 31 miles!
I connected the EGR back up and its running fine again, I took it for a decentish 40 mile run - however the check engine light is still on.
So there you go, the EGR valve was sticking yesterday but not today. I'll get it looked at properly at the weekend and the engine light turned off.

Back