EEEk HELP PLEASE ! Is this a bad gear box?

Hi all,

Wonder if you Micra gods can help me please. Nissan use to make good cars now they are just Renaults in disguise, my old 1993 Micra was bulletproof ! Wish I didnt buy this now...

Just bought a 2001 1 litre Micra, 89k miles :k11green:

Syptoms:

Gears are hard to engage i:e you have to really slam it to change gears and reverse scrunches, biting point is pretty low so I doubt its the clutch.

Accelaration is bad its like driving a turbo car with a dead turbo and drinks fuel like a crazy, idles fine and even hooked it up to lappy to read codes but none present.

Very slight wining noise from gearbox

:doh:

Would a bad gearbox cause the serious lack of accelaration?

Do these cars have clutch slave cylinders?

What could I do to confirm if it is the box as I really dont trust mechanics?

Going to check the gear linkages tomorow but they feel pretty tight.

Any advice/tips would be most appreciated :wasntme:

alchemyst

Ex. Club Member
sounds like your clutch is slipping and badly adjusted could be warn out and need replacing
clutch bit should be about half way up pedal travel not near the bottom so id check the clutch cable adjustment first if i were you!
and check theres enough oil in it (gearbox that is!) as well!

Katie

Half Micra Half Primera
My clutch is perfectly fine, but the gears still took a lot of getting used to, when i first got it, i couldnt get it in to 3rd for love nor money but now im used to it, it just flies in. So maybe you just need to get used to it?

I sometimes have to double clutch it to get it in to reverse but thats probably more me than the car :glance:

sounds like your clutch is slipping and badly adjusted could be warn out and need replacing
clutch bit should be about half way up pedal travel not near the bottom so id check the clutch cable adjustment first if i were you!
and check theres enough oil in it (gearbox that is!) as well!

Thanks guys, will check clutch and top up gear oil with molyslip, I hope it is the clutch but its defo not slipping, so would a gearbox problem affect the serrious loss of performance? Have had Micras before so its not the getting used to unfortunately, usually very nippy machines for what they are, I cant even get it to 70mph without struggling on a dual carriage.

Thanks all for your responses.

JayY

Owner of The Black Beauty
I had the same problem. sounds like the clutch to me, had the clutch, clutch cable replaced and some fork was bent aswell, turned out the main problem was this fork, dont know the name of it though

alchemyst

Ex. Club Member
also check you havent got a siezed brake caliper that can seriously affect performance and fuel economy
go for a drive 3-4 miles drive and brake normally then stop and get out and check the temperature of the wheels a seized brake will usually be very hot and make the wheel very hot sufficiant that you can tell just by putting your hand infront of the wheel, well worth a check!

Thanks guys, really helpful !

So far I have to eliminate:

Gear oil level - take speedo sendor plug out and see if its upto that hole level

Clutch cable - Clutch fork - Clutch itself (release bearing maybe)

Sticky caliper

Im hoping its the gear oil level

Thanks again peeps !

Back from work and had a play around,

The clutch biting point is all the way at the bottom so it may have had a new clutch.

The clutch cable is very tight so I am going to give it some slack tomorow

Theres a sender unit of some sort on the back of the gearbox at the top if you look from the front of the car, is this the speedo sender that I need to take out to check the oil level? If not has anyone got a picture of where I should be looking to check the gearbox oil in ?

Thanks again guys

Thanks guys !

Hey guys, just an update in case anyone does a search in future and to thank you all !

I adjusted the clutch cable to the max i:e less slack as possible, I think the cable was too long ! But the gearbox is much better now (only drove it for a bit mind fingers crossed) and just wanted to say thanks to all the good people for your opinions and replys !

I still have a car that feels like its got half the power and 500cc's, checked brakes, changed plugs + filter etc but still the same, greased all cables etc

Wonder if the timings out, hooked it up to my laptop and it show timing at 14 degrees, dont know what it should be or what it means...Anyway main problem is sorted...

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
~15 deg. BTDC is best for the Micra - your MAF could be dodgy if it is drinking fuel - do a search for that, there are many, many, many threads on it all.

Either that or you overestimate the powa of a 1l...:suspect:
Craig