ECU Upgrade Options

Okay so I am looking at the possibility of removing the MAF setup altogether and running open trumpets on my ITB's.

From what I was told, I would need a DET3 ECU as a piggyback in order to achieve this and get a decent map.

But after speaking to Fusion motorsport, they're saying no piggyback works well on the coilpack ECU. The ECU is too clever and essentially reverses any changes you make via the piggyback. They've said the only way to do it is via complete standalone.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Can I use a DET3 or would it be a waste of money like Fusion are saying?

Thanks for the info.

its because the later ecu,s are self learn apparently ihtisham (longterm fueltrims etc)
you may get away with it if you run full time open loop (o2 sensor delete)

Right okay i see, the smart self-learn motronics! I can look into deleting the o2 so that it never runs closed loop.

I'm currently running it with MAF disconnected and its much more powerful than with the MAF connected.
Kind of tempted to leave it as it is, so that its using the ECU's default 'alpha n' map, because as soon as the car gets up to temp, it drives great. If you full throttle it at low rpm (below 3k rpm) it bogs down really bad due to it only using tps, but after 3000rpm, its blooming great. Under 3k, you just have to be really gentle with the throttle and gently build it up. Spark plugs aren't fouled at all making me think overall the car is running decent ie not overfueling or underfueling.

Its just difficult to start from a cold engine as it idles so rough on a cold engine that it needs constant throttle for about 2-3 min before it stabilises itself, with some white smoke out of the back. After a few min, its completely fine.

I don't fancy paying 1k for standalone but i also dont fancy paying several hundred for a det 3 only to find it doesnt work that great... kinda stuck in a rut here. I'm leaning more towards leaving it as it is, but don't want to cause the engine damage in the long run either :/

Thanks for the info :)

I spoke to James last night, (white turbo micra) and he uses a speeduino as well. Turns out there's a company near where I live that assemble standalone ECU's based on megasquirt and speeduino.

Think this is the best option for me now. Thanks for the input mate :)

You could put a Speeduino on it. They're only cheap and the software is free. I run a Megasquirt m3x on mine but that's more expensive.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info :)

I spoke to James last night, (white turbo micra) and he uses a speeduino as well. Turns out there's a company near where I live that assemble standalone ECU's based on megasquirt and speeduino.

Think this is the best option for me now. Thanks for the input mate :)

You can assemble it yourself(especially the Speeduino) and save yourself quite a bit. If you want to know what's involved, the assembly of my Megasquirt is in my blog.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back