ECU Help

Hi everyone, I need a little info regarding the ECU in my 1996 P-reg car. It's a 1.3 auto that I am converting to manual using parts from a 1.0 litre car of the same sort of age. My question is, is there any difference between the ECU in an auto car that would hinder it or make it throw a tizzy after a manual swap, or does the CVT box have its own separate controller? I've searched for information on this already, and have only found incomplete or contradictory info. Should also mention that I shall be reprogramming the ECU at some point using a Nistune board, if that makes any difference.

Sorted for you. I have no experience with automatic transmission but Micra CVT sure is a nice design. I can tell by reading the field service manual. There are CVT related flashling light codes not to be found on a manual version. That is a hint since the source must be different while being a ecu or an separate ecu, I have no experience here so I can not tell.

I think the easiest way is to make sure Nistune will be able to work with the CVT or what requirements a Nistune version with CVT has. I also think you have a good chance receiving a technically inclined reply from Nistune when you ask them wat you should buy from them to make this work.

Another easy way to find difference is using Nissan Datascan or verifying by having a look at the ecu part number for a manual and an automatic, that if there is a difference in part number you can be sure there is a difference in the stock Nissan ecu program the least. For the field service manual, your question is for me that hard to answer that reading the field service manual from first page on and skipping to the parts that talk about the parts of the car you are looking in to to change or replace will sure help you out.

By reading and re-reading your initial question I'm not sure what would be a good start for the fsm. Could you please explain us what you have there, what you would like to put in?

If someone could chime in and tell us what wiring is different between an manual and CVT Micra, that sure would help.

Last edited:
Hi!! I converted my car to manual. I can help you. It's a separate ecu. It's easy. You only have to connect two wires that is the ignition inhibitor to start the car when you unplug all the wiring from the automatic box. And that's it. If you have a donor car it will be very easy. You will have to remove the light from the cvt because it will stay on. The rest is remove and put. Later if you need, i can post photos if you want.

Hi!! I converted my car to manual. I can help you. It's a separate ecu. It's easy. You only have to connect two wires that is the ignition inhibitor to start the car when you unplug all the wiring from the automatic box. And that's it. If you have a donor car it will be very easy. You will have to remove the light from the cvt because it will stay on. The rest is remove and put. Later if you need, i can post photos if you want.
Thanks Robin, that's exactly what I needed. I suspected as much. I've actually had the idea to use the inhibitor switch as a security device using a hidden toggle switch.

So you can just stop using automatic tranny wiring and hack a protective device by connecting two wires? Neat. Does such CVT fit in my k11?

Yes. Is simple, really simple. The hardest part is enable de reversing light. For the moment, my light didn't run xD
Shouldn't be too difficult. I'll just have to take a moment to identify the reversing light wires when I take the auto gearbox out, then cut/splice/solder/crimp as necessary to make them fit the reversing switch on the manual box :).

frank

Club Member
the preface 1.0 has a lot of drivetrain differences, so that might explain contradictory posts on here
the reverse/neutral switch wiring for example, i had 4 preface k11,s and none of them had the same wiring

I happened to have replaced my CG13 for a GA16 but the manual geerbox is CG13, does that mean I -could- put an auto tranny on a GA16 then? Besides my concerns having to maintain and service a CVT, that would be over 100HP on that thing, sounds neat. I also concern how to get an auto pedal exchange for the clutch pedal and some MOT concerns maybe. I did not want to hijack this topic but the OP has been answered, right?