ECU confusion

Hi Guys,
My first post here. I've got a 2002 K11 Automatic which developed a leak in the heater matrix. When I (eventually) got around to running some RadWeld through it, it wouldn't start.

AA came out, sprayed some startgas and it turned over. All fuses and relays working correctly. Fuel pressure ok - pump working fine. Checked the injectors and no fuel was being fired to the plugs.

I suspected that the water leak from the heater (there was a LOT of water) had gotten into the ECU and fried something. I pulled out the ECU and, sure enough, there was a lot of water damage. I cleaned it up but still no start.

Here's the confusion: How many ECUs are there in this car? Searching online for the part number (Mitsubishi M31036 AP300 / 31711KA110 / G2T35174H1) would suggest that this is a "Transmission ECU" for autos only. Is there another ECU for the engine? If so, where is it?

Would my water damaged Transmission ECU stop the car from starting?

I can get a replacement Transmission ECU for £50 on eBay (even though the big letter on the case is K and not M, all the other part numbers match).

If I got this replacement, would it work with my immobiliser? I read somewhere that these gearbox ECUs aren't immobilized.

Cheers!

Back