Dry stiff gears!!

Hi have a 1.0l micra. Wandering if you could help?
Gears feel stiff, doesnt jump out of gear or anything. when you shake the gear stick from left to right when in neutral it seems to feel ''dry'' and not smooth.The best way to describe the feel of the gears it creaky!!. Its makes it akward to change gear.

Any help would be appeciated cheers!

Hi have a 1.0l micra. Wandering if you could help?
Gears feel stiff, doesnt jump out of gear or anything. when you shake the gear stick from left to right when in neutral it seems to feel ''dry'' and not smooth.The best way to describe the feel of the gears it creaky!!. Its makes it akward to change gear.

Any help would be appeciated cheers!

have you checked if you have enough gearbox oil in there?

more likely dry/rusted joints on the gearchange rod imo, some engine oil, brushed on with a paintbrush cured my tight gearchange i had when i bought the car :)

Had exactly the same problem with mine. If you're handy at DIY, take the exhaust shield off, spray some penetrating oil (not WD40) on the linkages and see if that does the trick. If still stiff, then loosen and tighten the nuts and bolts on moving parts. This link should help you identify parts before you get stuck in.

http://tinyurl.com/o3xmvk

Also check if the spring is still intact and not broken. If it's broken, normally it snaps at one end. It's possible, if not fiddley, to bend the broken end over to make a hook and re-attach.
Good luck.

Back