Driving to Asia in K10: mod help needed

Hi all

Next year, my friend and i are going to drive to southeast asia through a number of different countries (20 odd) and terrains.

We wish to achieve this is a Nissan Micra K10 with 48,000miles on the clock and a good service history. We chose this outdated (24 years old) car so that A) less likely to be stolen doesnt matter when it dies C) its extremely reliable D) good fuel consumption E) low mileage F) easy to fix (because basic design).

I would appreciate it if no one would outline the dangers of such a trip... we know.

We wish to strengthen and customise the vehicle before we leave.

1) Raise the car off the ground by another 3 inches: is it possible? Expected costs?
Whats the max height i could get it while still keeping the car stable.

2) Re-enforce the structure: is it possible? Expected costs?

3) Add Bull-bars or something similar for front protection: is it possible? Expected costs?

4) Alarm Security System (a good one): is it possible? Expected costs?

Also, does anyone know of a company which may have sponsored such trips before where i could either get funding or discounts for the mods??

Any help, even if you have no idea on cost would be helpful... i just want this little red pill to be ready for anything.

Many Thanks

Joel

imp124

Buy & Sell Member
you can strengthen the body / shell very easily if you have / borrow a welder and some old pipe. i believe some people have had bushes made that sit on top of the suspension mounts to raise the car a few inches. You can get a good alarm fitted for a couple of hundred quid or a cheap one from car shops would do almost the same job and come with decent wiring diagrams ;)

i know south ast asia very well i have been there many times to singapore malaysia thailand indonesia vietnam hong kong china and japan.
there seems to be 2 ways to go either through eastern europe across ukraine russia then on to asia comeing down through china to laos or accross the middle east, id go the russian way and avoid iran and afganistan. i must admit id love to drive there but its a long way the mountains of afgaistan are huge the desrts of iran are massive that cars gonna have to be very tough and you really dont want to break down in a dessert even from the plane iran has roads that are stretching as far as you can see with nothing on them but dust. if you do this and survive it lol it will be the experiance of a life time i wish i could do it, i did think of driving a micra to singapore lol but i dont think i will ever do it. id fly to malaysia buy a k11 there and tour south east asia with it lol gotta be easier but hey good luck id love to see the pics.

ps good luck driving round saigon your gonna need it lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vUiuEgCY3E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr5Gssaxl6g&feature=related

nice map here lol

wallpaper-world-map-2006-large.gif

alexv

Club Member (Trial)
bull bars off a panda 4x4 shouldnt be too far off size wise im guessing??

oh and in russia i was told its against the law to use any gps receiving device .... not sure how true but something to check.

meji

Club Member (Trial)
oh and in russia i was told its against the law to use any gps receiving device .... not sure how true but something to check.

The importation and use of global positioning system (GPS) devices are subject to special rules and regulations. In recent incidents foreigners, including U.S. citizens, using such devices were detained by Russian authorities and faced various charges, including espionage. No traveler should seek to import or use GPS equipment in any manner unless it has been properly and fully documented before arrival and is declared in full on a customs declaration at the point of entry to the Russian Federation.

http://www.1uptravel.com/travelwarnings/russia.html

nexussteve

The reason you're happy!
Other people have rallied K10s through those parts of the world.

Do a search on the forums to find their posts! Proly loads of information there! :)

bull bars off a panda 4x4 shouldnt be too far off size wise im guessing??

Bullbars from a panda are rare and very sortafter...(I have six pandas and 3 bullbars so i do know)

One team i have seen used bigger wheels to get height..i am looking into the rubber mount thing at the moment as well as fitting a sump guard and maybe a fuel tank guard.

Have fun...I'm off to Timbuktu at xmas...