driving lights causing major headache!!

Haylz

Ex. Club Member
after rummaging around under the bonnet I discovered (with help from goldstar - much appreciated mate) that my car already has the wiring for the front bumper driving lights, after checking the wiring diagram in haynes they are indeed driving lights as opposed to fog lights.

Anyway I toddled off to scrapper and picked myself up a relay and fitted it in the box at the left of the engine bay where it should go, I have fitted a 15A fuse in the fuse box next to the steering column which again haynes states it should be.

After doing all this I was led to believe that the driving lamps should now come on with main beam but unfortunately it didn't. I will add that I only had the drivers side light plugged in because I haven't yet found where the connector is hidden for the passenger side, or if I have to take a feed from the drivers side wires. Could anyone , if they know where it's hidden please enlighten me as to it's whereabouts?

I'm hoping the only reason the light didn't come on is because the relay is broken, think I'll take a trip to Nissan and get a new one from them.

will my current light stalk work the driving lights automatically with main beam or will I need a new light stalk?? what do the light stalks look like in a super s, are they just the same as the other micras?

I've included the wiring diagram from the haynes manual below, maybe someone could help me out and see where I've gone wrong, that is if I've gone wrong and it isn't just a dodgy relay Ive picked up.

P.S, if anyone has a super s bumper and need to wire up their fogs/driving lights have a look around where the screenwash tank is on the driviers side of the engine bay, if you already have the wiring in the car then there will be a connector tucked up in there. see the pics below, there is also a picture of what's inside the box where the relays go, and of the relay which I picked up at the scrapper.

P.P.S just ignore the red and yellow wires that can be seen in the second 2 pics, that was for the aftermarket fogs I had fitted, they've been taken out now along with all the wiring for them.

Attachments

• fe14_001.jpg
    fe14_001.jpg
    730.1 KB · Views: 292
  • 14-02-06_1443.jpg
    14-02-06_1443.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 256
  • 14-02-06_1444.jpg
    14-02-06_1444.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 254
  • 14-02-06_1711.jpg
    14-02-06_1711.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 256
  • 14-02-06_1712.jpg
    14-02-06_1712.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 266

solarice

Ex. Club Member
id expect the light stalk to be the same as all the other micra ones.

yeah as youve found out these are indeed full beam driving lights and not fogs.

To turn them on you need to push the light stalk forward so the blue icon on dash lights up
(just in case when you say main beam you mean normal headlights on)

the passenger side light wiring...should be easy to see...as the loom that runs around is cable tied underneath the headlight...the driving lamp wiring is spliced into that so the connector should be near the lower corner closest to the grill of the passenger headlight.

Depending where theyve put it you might have to remove that headlight to get a proper look.

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
if you supply power to R/G wire on the relay does the driving lights come on?

if they do i would say the stalk is the wrong one as its not supplying power to the relay to switch the driving lights on,

if they dont and all the wirings ok power feeds and earths, i would say the relay dont work

OP
OP
Haylz

Haylz

Ex. Club Member
thanks fordy, I'll have a look at that tomorrow.

I'm gonna get the bumper fitted this weekend too, so once I get the bumper on it won't be so much hassle carrying it in and out of the house to try and figure out the wiring for the lights lol. Couldn't be bothered taking the light out of the bumper fwn

I'm hoping it's just gonna be the relay cos that'l only take seconds to change.

And I really need to find the connector for the passenger side light too.

Ah well, no rest for the wicked haha :devil:

solarice

Ex. Club Member
i meant the cars headlight not the driving lamp...just to clarify. :)

actually ive just reread your post...and i misread it...so ignore that..lol

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
i asumed that when you put the 15a fuse in you checked to see if there was both connectors for the fuse, nissan use to leave on missing if the vehicle spec was lower, might be a good place to check first

OP
OP
Haylz

Haylz

Ex. Club Member
Fordy said:
i asumed that when you put the 15a fuse in you checked to see if there was both connectors for the fuse, nissan use to leave on missing if the vehicle spec was lower, might be a good place to check first

didn't know that.

will check that too. :grinning:

OP
OP
Haylz

Haylz

Ex. Club Member
Fordy said:

Checked the fuse connectors this morning and there is one missing.

How do I fix this? fwn

Help would really be appreciated on this please guys, thanks.

OP
OP
Haylz

Haylz

Ex. Club Member
I've got the relays and everything on.

Just need this fixed now.:grinning:

or should I say I want to fix this and if they still don't work I'll wire them completely from scratch. it's worth a go though.

OP
OP
Haylz

Haylz

Ex. Club Member
well, finally got them working with main beam as they should.

After checking inside the main fusebox one of the connectors for the fuse was missing.

To get round this I got a positive feed from the positive going to the rear foglight relay (white/blue) I then put in a 15A fuse and connected the other end to the orange wire which goes to the driving lights relay.

If anyone has these lights fitted and not wired this is the easiest way to do it if the wiring is already in the car. You will need a relay like the one in my picture above to go in the relay box.

I couldn't find the connector for the passenger side light, but I don't actually think it's there because looking at the haynes wiring diagram, it just connects from the drivers side one so all I did for that was got a connector from the scrappy and connected it to the drivers side wiring and took it across to the passenger side one.

Attachments

• 21-02-06_1027.jpg
    21-02-06_1027.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 236