drivimg over the limited help

mohammed

Ex. Club Member
hello everyone just want some advise on not to drive over the limited in such place example dual carriage ways. i've got a right heavy foot at times. is there anything i could do not to drive over the limited. help would be nice.

staying in 4th wud help but wouldnt do much good to engine/fuel.

just try and concentrate more, unless u can fit a cruse control system but wouldnt be worth effort IMO

err just slow down or carry on going quick...wait until you get a ticket or have a crash then it will scare you into slowing down.

Thats very true, wrote my corsa off on a dual'r just by hitting a wet spot going about 60. Now i never break 50 and stick to the outside lane.
What i tend to do is find a car thats going about the speed you want to go and just stick behind it.

i had 2 crashes one at 60 mph when someone pulled out on me and secon one 30mph same thing as before. first crash was really bad my engine came through my dash board and had no air bags. lucky to be alive

I cant help but feel if you /really/ are not capable of driving to suit the conditions perhaps you should consider a taxi....

Learn self control or do not drive 800kgs of lethal weapon on the public roads. Good old UK driver training.:wow:

You are either a safe driver or you're not. People who become a safe driver only change because of consequence; and these consequences aren't pretty.

"The slower you go, the further you get."

i don't drive like mad or anything. its just when i'm on a dual carriageway or a motorway i sometimes go over the limited

Fair play for having the guts to admit you have a problem, rather than trying to justify it to yourself. I remember how when I first passed I used to justify driving at a higher-than-appropriate speed by thinking "I know the road" or "It's only me I injure/kill". It took one panic inducing skid from 30 to confirm how wrong I was.

IMHO that would be the worst thing possible for you atm. You must learn to keep the car under the limit yourself, rather than just letting it do it for you. You limit it to 70mph, what about when you're on a 50mph dual carriageway etc?

Talk to a local instructor about this and get him to take you out for a couple of hours working on it?

I'm not trying to be rude, btw! :)

Drive to the conditions and traffic.

If it is only on the motorway/dual carriageway and it is clear, then 80-90 is illegal but pretty safe.
There are a lot of idiots on busy motorways. Don't be one of them.

Driving too fast through towns and residential areas is not good.
People might miss your nice Micra if it is going too fast.

Speeding points and accidents will make your insurance go up even more!

Get on your/a bike (pedal bike) and ride at 25mph if you can.
Then you realise/remember how fast you are actually moving, but without the sense of security and lack of effort driving provides, even when you're under the speed limit. Kinda puts it easily attainable figures like 80mph into perspective.And wear a helmet in case you deck it!:p

i know how fast it is. i just been speaking to my brother regarding it. he goes if we (police) catch you. we'll give you 3 points on licence bt if your going over a 100mph we'll give you 6 points and a banned. don't need that. next time not gona go over the speed limited

Good man...Reasonable i reckon?100mph is a bad time to meet anything, stationary or not (Y) So do your best to keep yourself in check!

if your going more than 50% of 30 mph you lose ur licence i was lucky i did 85 in a 50 they said if it was a traffic officer i would be in court and lost my licence i got cautioned so just think its made me relise speed isnt everything

Re. Speeding

It's very easy to do, especially when the AVERAGE speed of vehicles on the road you're travelling on is around 85MPH (as is the case on several motorways I use regularly). You need to get a feel for the speed you're travelling at and have an occasional glance at the speedo just to make sure. If you want to avoid speeding just stay in lane 1 :)

Bear in mind the 1.0L K11 is capable of ~100MPH in good conditions, the 1.4 can easily go a bit faster than that.

BG

i took the car on the motorway today and first time i stayed at 60mph. at that speed its good on juice and it feels quite nice

One way, is just to not bother with the flow of traffic, sit in the slow lane, the old lady in front in her K10 will be going about 50, keeps you down nicely.

But on that note, dont use the (fast lane) (inside or outside? the one by the central reservation). Most of the people who will be sitting in it, will be all over the limit, and you travel with them, you wont have any perception of speed.

But you could get a TomTom/<insert other brand name here> and set the limit to 70mph on it, mine has a delightful chav lady screaming at me if I go over :)

EDIT: I so didnt read BG101's post lol

i strongly recommend a retest as you are asking people about the basic principles of driving which you should already know and should have been tested on.

My speedo clicks loudly at 45, does anyone else's do this? I use that as a warning that I'm going over 40, let's me spend more time watching the road.

On the motorway I'm happy to get in a lorry's slipstream and cruise along at 60 using no fuel lol

If you haven't started knowing your speed by now you probably never will

Talk to a local instructor about this and get him to take you out for a couple of hours working on it?

I'm not trying to be rude, btw! :)

I was going to suggest that too. Being in a crash should wake you up into realising how dangerous cars / surroundings really are.

I look at my speedo' just as much as I look at the road.

That's the problem with all these speed limitations,we're all spending too much time watching the clock & not the road making sure you're not doing 35mph in a 30 zone at 2am on an empty dry road.
It's all about doing a sensible speed for the conditions & time of day.
No point spending fortunes on performance mods to get you to 30mph quicker!Enjoy your car but know when it's safe to hit the gas & get a camara/radar detector that updates new locations regularly.
The manufacturers are developing cars which will only let you go as fast as speed limit,enjoy the last of the golden days of motoring...

When you're watching the speedo, you are NOT watching the road. Simple as. This is why some of these arbitrary speed limits are doing more harm than good. When driving (especially at night on empty roads) I drive at a speed which is appropriate for the conditions (visibility, road surface, space, proximity of people and other vehicles) and don't even look at the speedo. I don't do silly speeds, but I don't crawl either. The odd time there's someone doing 30 along the urban dual-carriageways is when there's also a queue of cars behind.

BG

Or just hand your license in or get your leg muscles checked and see why they can't keep your feet off the floor properly..?

Back