Driveshafts

Micra 110

Site Supporter
I may need to get some new Driveshafts. :(

Does anyone have the Part number for it?
and can i use a Driveshaft off another Vehicle, like a Figaro for example?

cheers peeps :)

well basically the 'driveshart' is a piece of steel bar with splines either end, in theory what can go wrong? whats wrong with your car?

well basically the 'driveshart' is a piece of steel bar with splines either end, in theory what can go wrong? whats wrong with your car?

With a constant velocity joint at each end consisting of 5 large ball bearings creating a knuckle joint allowing the hub to move up and down whilst the gear box is still able to turn the driveshaft to turn the hub (basicly). Hence "constant velocity joint".

So yeah not alot can go wrong, either wear in the joint normally diagnosed by either a clicking noise whilst going round corners or play but not in and out play. Or a CV joint gaiter split (the rubber sock) this will secreate a black grease to whihc is used to lubricate the joint.

So whats wrong with the car??

cheers for replies:)

Well a few months ago i had the wheel bearings changed because we had that 'woowoo' noise.... you know what i mean....:grinning:
Now, whether the noise has something to do with the fact that the Clutch is getting low(clutch makes noise, when peddle depressed noise goes away..i think thats the Thrust bearing that's worn)....the noise is there when moving and when slowing down but there is no Knocking on take-off. I've done the up and down check and there is play evident, especially on the Drivers side inboard CV joint. Obviously i have no way of knowing unless i take the Shaft off to check splines. Also, due to the Shaft being case hardened my money would then be on the CV joints....but if it is the Splines that are worn...fwn

I have a theory that if the noise i have now sounds similar to the Wheel bearings noise, then perhaps that same noise could be manufactured by the CV joint as it too contains Ball bearings....o_O

first of all the splines dont ware as there in pernament contact, secondly where as the wheel bearings contain lots o small ball bearings the CV joints tend to about an inch er big and only 5 of them they very rarely whirr. The most common noise a clicking noise mostly heard when turning corners.

Ifd the noise is heard when the vehicle is moving theres a simple method to diagnose the problem. Jack the vehicle up and put on axles stands with enough room to slide under the engine. Put it into second gear and start the engine, get underneath and listen out for the noise. May need to go into third gear, let it idle dont rev it up.

Good Tip!

I've got a couple of stands so i'll try that method out, cheers :)
I'l check the discs and pads as well, although the noise they make when worn is completely different to this noise..it's weird man!:eek:

I will get to the bottom of this.....

Just in case i do need new CV joints....Are the Outboard and the inboard CV joints the same or different?

i have a misterious rubbing sound coming from my front left wheel, cant work out exactly where its coming from tho may try this method. (Y)

The outers are different from the inners also should imagine the gaiters are also different. Although the outer joints are more like to be the cause of the problem as they have further travel, also check the rubber boots for tell tale signs of black grease.

just had another look from underneath and there seems to be play on the inboard joint more than the outboard one...mmm...
....and i've just found an Oil leak..:( it looks like the Crankshaft rear oil seal has gone....shall i start another thread? :laugh:

just had another look from underneath and there seems to be play on the inboard joint more than the outboard one...mmm...
....and i've just found an Oil leak..:( it looks like the Crankshaft rear oil seal has gone....shall i start another thread? :laugh:

If its the rear crank seal, your clutch could start slipping when the fly starts flicking it around the gearbox bellhousing. if it does start slipping then you know its the rear seal o_O

Ryan.

P1010021.jpg

It's not that bad as it's not dripping on the floor......yet.. :(

Clutch is up for renewal, so i'll get the Seal changed as a matter of course... :)

btw. I don't want to open a new thread, but does somebody know how I can unbolt the driveshaft at the hub? I can't get this damn thing loose

basically a nice big 30mm socket with a bit bar like that youd do wheels with... and someone on the brakes and it will go after removing the split pin and the little cover bit!

Shouldnt be too tight anyway otherwise it will stuff up the bearings

I use a 32 or 30mm offset spanner and a big rubber mallet. A good few knocks should see it come off.

ive never had any problems but maybe i dont do them tight enough but they are fine for me :/ maybe its been on there far too long with no love! or snapping driveshafts or changing gear boxes haha

(my reason theyve been off so many times)

Back