Drive belts help

Hi all,

After spending the last 2 hours trying to put the water pump belt on without any luck, am here asking your tricks/tips, the car has no A/C and PS so it should be simple straight forward, right? wrong....

so how do you turn 2 hour mission into a 5 minute job? attached is the closest pic I can find that looks similar to mine

I think the alternator belt would be very simple lol

btw it doesn't look like the first one in this picture, the idler pulley and water pump are closer to each other.

belts.gif

thanks in advance
car details
K11 micra 1.4 auto x reg

Attachments

• tensioner.jpg
    tensioner.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 677
My tensioner is most probably different to yours as I have PS and AC. Either way if you've loosened it all the way the belt should drop on easily. I have had trouble in the past getting the right size belt as companies have incorrect sizes listed due to there being so many options.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

My tensioner is most probably different to yours as I have PS and AC. Either way if you've loosened it all the way the belt should drop on easily. I have had trouble in the past getting the right size belt as companies have incorrect sizes listed due to there being so many options.

nice one Agent_Sm1th, I compared the belt to the old one and it is exactly the same, the tensioner should have some play (after loosening both bolts) and move slightly to allow the belt to slide in right? this one isn't budging, I will have another go at it tomorrow.

Even though my tensioner is in a different place it will probably be the same type. You need to slacken the nut off the front of the pulley before you can adjust the tensioner bolt. Here's a pic.

Even though my tensioner is in a different place it will probably be the same type. You need to slacken the nut off the front of the pulley before you can adjust the tensioner bolt. Here's a pic.

yeah that is the one...........slackened it all the way too that is why am a bit lost why it hasnt got a bit of play but will have a go at it tomorrow

You only need to loosen it a bit. Then you wind in or out the bolt you can see on the right-hand side in your picture. That bolt under the oil filter shouldn't be loose as it holds the bracket on.

The pic was only for details, it wasn't mine.

I have managed to put both belts on today, soaked penetrating oil on all the bolts last night, a bit of force today and the tensioner moved to allow the belt to slip in.....who would have thought drive belts could be this hard lol?

Thanks
Agent_Sm1th & frank

Back